Death's Acre

by Bill Bass, Jon Jefferson | Nonfiction |
Registered by geishabird of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 3/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 15, 2008
Nowhere is there another lab like Dr. Bill Bass's: On a hillside in Tennessee, human bodies decompose in the open air, aided by insects, bacteria and birds, unhindered by coffins or mausoleums. At the "Body Farm," nature takes its course, with corpses buried in shallow graves, submerged in water, concealed beneath slabs of concrete, locked in trunks of cars. As stand-ins for murder victims, they serve the needs of science -- and the cause of justice.

For thirty years, Dr. Bass's research has revolutionized the field of forensic science, particularly by pinpointing "time since death" in murder cases. In this riveting book, he investigates real cases and leads listeners on an unprecedented journey behind the locked gates of the Body Farm. A master scientist and an engaging storyteller, Bass shares his most intriguing work: his revisit of the Lindbergh kidnapping and murder, fifty years after the fact; the mystery of a headless corpse whose identity astonished the police; the telltale bugs that finally sent a murderous grandfather to death row; and many more.

Forensic science and murder investigations are among the most fascinating topics of our time. Dominating television and print media the subjects could not be hotter. As one of the world's leading forensic anthropologists, Dr. Bill Bass is the premier guide to this unusual realm.

Fascinating reading, but not for the squeamish. If you liked Mary Roach's Stiff, you'll probably like this too. Bass has done some extraordinary work at the Body Farm and this book is a marvellous account of a unique career.

On its roundabout way to Antheras...although I suspect HoserLauren may waylay it at some point before it arrives!

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 15, 2008
This one is being hijacked by me on it's way to Antheras!! I've read 2 of "Jefferson Bass"'s novels before and love the way they describe the body farm and all the science behind it. I suspect my mom will want to read this one as well, when I tell her how AWESOME it was after I read it. :)

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 11, 2008
Though this book may have better been called "The Body Farm", this title is taken by Patricia Cornwell even though it's based on a creation by Bass. Bass got into the forensic field almost by accident. Since then, he has become one of the leading specialists in human bones in North America. Bass practically created a specialization (and then a following from other universities) in human bone forensics and claims to have trained over a third of all professionals out there that specialize in this. He also is the creator of the "body farm", which studies the decomposition of bodies under different scenarios. Patricia Cornwell has worked with Bass in the writing of her books, and Bass and his team have assisted in numerous criminal cases.

Bass takes us through some of the important findings him and his students/colleagues have made. He then corresponds these findings to important cases he has been involved with. Some are heartbreaking, some are stupid. One of Bass's colleagues was involved in a murder trial in Toronto that was breaking news up here during the time.

This books gives you an in depth look at the art of bone forensics. I found it extremely interesting. I've also read "Jefferson Bass" novels before - where Dr. Bill Bass co-writes with another author and have enjoyed those books very much. I believe the reason is because they so closely follow Bass' real life experience. Bass has a friend that specializes in fingerprinting named Art, and surely enough in the fictional books there is a fingerprinting specialist named Art.

Going to pass to my mom, then on to Antheras!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 12, 2008
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 20, 2008
This book highlights Dr. Bill Bass's life and the creation of The Body Farm. Some of the cases Bass has consulted on are detailed, sometimes with too much detail. This book is not for those who have a weak stomach.

What is very interesting is how forensic anthropology has progressed over the years. From how bodies decompose to how dead bodies host insects and how each of these can backdate the time of death. Bass relates each of these scientific innovations with real life cases. Patricia Cornwell and her relationship to the real Body Farm is also noted.

Of particular interest to me was the Bernardo case and the dismemberment of Leslie Macaffery. A colleague of Bass is an expert in saw cuts on bones.

I have read Jefferson Bass books and it is curious to note how real people are incorporated into these stories

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 15, 2008
hand delivered to Chronic who will take to the Buffalo Meet-Up for Janelle