The Name of the Rose (engl)

by Umberto Eco | History |
ISBN: 074931477x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Ahoi-Brause of Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 3/13/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, March 13, 2008
I got this book from a friend of mine. And it should travel on ... :o)

Blurb:Eco, an Italian philosopher and best-selling novelist, is a great polymathic fabulist in the tradition of Swift, Voltaire, Joyce, and Borges. The Name of the Rose, which sold 50 million copies worldwide, is an experimental medieval whodunit set in a monastic library. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate heresy among the monks in an Italian abbey; a series of bizarre murders overshadows the mission. Within the mystery is a tale of books, librarians, patrons, censorship, and the search for truth in a period of tension between the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire. The book became a hit despite some obscure passages and allusions. This deftly abridged version, ably performed by Theodore Bikel, retains the genius of the original but is far more accessible. Foucault's Pendulum, Eco's second novel, is a bit irritating. The plot consists of three Milan editors who concoct a series on the occult for an unscrupulous publishing house that Eco ridicules mercilessly. The work details medieval phenomena including the Knights Templar, an ancient order with a scheme to dominate the world. Unfortunately, few listeners will make sense of this failed thriller. The Island of the Day Before is an ingenious tale that begins with a shipwreck in 1643. Roberta della Griva survives and boards another ship only to find himself trapped. Flashbacks give us Renaissance battles, the French court, spies, intriguing love affairs, and the attempt to solve the problem of longitude. It's a world of metaphors and paradoxes created by an entertaining scholar. Tim Curry, who also narrates Foucault's Pendulum, provides a spirited narration. Ultimately, libraries should avoid Foucault's Pendulum, but educated patrons will form an eager audience for both The Name of the Rose and The Island of the Day Before.

Released 14 yrs ago (6/2/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Reist als Gewinner-RABCK im Testumschlag an charly83. Ganz viel Lesespaß wünsche ich Dir!

Journal Entry 3 by Charly83 from Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Sunday, June 7, 2009
Thanks to Ahoi-Brause for this Rabck. I'll enjoy reading it very much.

Journal Entry 4 by Charly83 from Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Saturday, August 15, 2009
Hm... I enjoyed reading this book but... I don't know how to explain. I read another book written by Umberto Eco and I was amazed but this one...it didn't had the same effect althought the story line was good and the tension was constant and the solution was a surprise.
I cannot say that it was bad but I expected something different.

Journal Entry 5 by Charly83 at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Thursday, March 24, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (3/24/2011 UTC) at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany

Das Buch macht sich als Rabck per Post auf die Reise nach Baruth.

Journal Entry 6 by RoseOfDarkness at Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Thanks so much for the random act of kindness.

Journal Entry 7 by RoseOfDarkness at Baruth/Mark, Brandenburg Germany on Sunday, April 3, 2011
"1001 Bücher, die Sie lesen sollten, bevor das Leben vorbei ist"

After seeing the movie, "The Name of the Rose", I started reading the book with some apprehension since I already knew how it ended. Wow! Was I in for a surprise! The movie is barely an outline of the story in comparison to the book. The descriptions, the language and most of all the mysteries (because there are mysteries within the main mystery of the novel)kept me reading every spare second. I would recommend this novel to anyone. I am not the type of person who reads a book more than once, but I believe I would read this one again. Enjoy!!

Released 12 yrs ago (4/8/2011 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Brandenburg Germany

Journal Entry 9 by une-fleurette at Saarbrücken, Saarland Germany on Saturday, April 9, 2011
Kam heute an. Vielen lieben Dank!