Dance of the Ariadnes

by Sharon Spencer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ETMadrid of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ETMadrid from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Quoting Bettina Knapp, from the back of the book:

"Sharon Spencer's 'Dance of the Ariadnes' is a dazzling foray into the mysteries of myth as experienced by two very modern women whose excitement and suspenseful yearnings swell with each unfolding chapter. Readers will delight in the sequences of dream, reverie and reality, intricately knit together in a unique poetics of eroticism."

Fate has brought together the American painter Miranda and the Slav actress Divna on the island of Crete, where they weave a dance in the moonlight on Ariadne's platform and both meet again the gypsy-blooded Dionysios. Their paths which here brush together are to meet different yet inextricable fates.

I knew not the first thing about this book, other than the title, but I had spent an afternoon reading about Anaïs Nin (whose books in fact I've never read) on the website www.anaisnin.com, where I'd read Sharon Spencer's long and well-written paper on Anaïs Nin, biographies and the many critical writings related to her work. When I then went on to read that Sharon Spencer had died, and that copies of a novel of hers (this one) had been salvaged from the publisher's recycle bin by her friend Rochelle Holt, I contacted her to obtain a copy. I had not long been 'bookcrossing', but the story of the books' rescue seemed suitably irresistible!! And not only did Rochelle Holt send me this book, but she sent me one of her own books (read and registered) as well as "Sharon Spencer, a memorial" that she'd edited. It's been a voyage of discovery...

I enjoyed this exhuberant read and plan to send it out in a bookray or ring, with the memorial booklet. It is the first of her books to be registered on bookcrossing. Again to quote from the back of the book, the writer "was a longtime admirer of Anaïs Nin, and a close friend during her final years." Indeed, the preface is written by Nin's brother.

I like the unusual use within the book of the photography by her onetime husband the Slav photographer Srdjan Maljkovíc.

This, and the memorial booklet to its author, will be going out as a bookray to the following people:

catbot (Australia)
lucy-lemon (UK)
okyrhoe (Greece)

Journal Entry 2 by ETMadrid at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 13, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (11/13/2008 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

This went in the post today along with the booklet in memory of its author. It'll take a while as they're going via surface mail.

Journal Entry 3 by catbot from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, November 21, 2008
Thanks ETMadrid! Books arrived safe and sound, looking forward to reading them!

Journal Entry 4 by catbot from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, December 28, 2008
I won't put a rating on this, as I had real trouble getting into the book the couple of times I tried. I will send onto LucyLemon ASAP.

Edit - 22 Jan 09: Sending to LucyLemon tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 5 by catbot at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (1/23/2009 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay, sent to Lucy-Lemon with Sharon Spencer: A Memorial :)

Journal Entry 6 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2009
Arrived before the weekend, thanks. Will try to read ASAP, but have quite a bit to read first.

Journal Entry 7 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Oh my god, I am disgusting. I have had this book, along with the memorial booklet for months. I am so sorry. Haved PMed okyrhoe for her address and will post on asap.

Journal Entry 8 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, September 17, 2009
Thanks ETMadrid for adding me to the reading list, and lucy-lemon for posting the book to me!

I don't recall exactly why I originally wanted to read this book, anyway now that I see the blurb on the back cover about the author being a close friend of Anais Nin's I am excited about reading it!

Arrived with Sharon Spencer: A Memorial.

Journal Entry 9 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, May 05, 2014
I remember reading this when it first arrived here, but then "sh*t happened" and it looks like I never got round to journaling with my comments.

Well, after several years and many difficulties, I re-discovered this curious story. I can't recall my first impressions. I certainly am glad I took the time to re-read it.

It is the kind of story I wish more women writers would write... featuring female protagonists who are not consumed by the petty and the mundane, or by uncertainties as to who they are what they feel or what they want. They are instead living their lives with a sense of personal accomplishment and assurance, to the degree that they are sensitive as well as responsive to the external world (sensation) and the internal (imagination).

The dream world and the mythic is ever present in this novel, but paradoxically enough, the two protagonists, Divna and Miranda, are quite down to earth. They are clear thinkers, practical too, but they are also able to transcend to another level where strange but fulfilling experiences occur, where communication about these things is achieved without words and without explanation.

Journal Entry 10 by okyrhoe at Athens Sports Bar in Koukaki, Attica Greece on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (5/7/2014 UTC) at Athens Sports Bar in Koukaki, Attica Greece

Planned release for the Spring Cleaning Book Swap on Wednesday May 7, from 11am to 2pm.

location:
Athens Sports Bar
3A Veikou street, Koukaki
(go down Makriyianni street from the Acropolis metro station, and turn right at Veikou street).

Hosted by the Athens book swap club.