A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Aberpeter of Kirkland, Washington USA on 3/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
from the book jacket:
"A Thousand Spendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan's last thirty years - from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post-Taliban rebuilding - that puts the violence, fear, hope, and faith of this country to intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives - the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness - are inextricable from the history playing out around them."

Journal Entry 2 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, March 22, 2008
This book was a wonderful read. It gave great insight into what it is like for the people living in Afghanistan for the past 20+ years. I cared about the characters and was angry with the injustices that have plagued their country for so long.

Journal Entry 3 by Aberpeter from Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, March 31, 2008
mailed to time-traveler as a birthday RABCK

Journal Entry 4 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Monday, April 07, 2008
Thank you Aberpeter. I am really looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
I just finished this and I really enjoyed it. I remember when it was first announced that the title for this book was going to be Dreaming in Titanic City. Having read The Kite Runner, I couldn't imagine how that could possibly fit as a title. Now I know. I remember watching Titanic many times with my daughter, not knowing that the people of Afghanistan were so obsessed with it as escapism. It's amazing how the people's lives (especially the women's) changed so drastically.

I have to admit I liked The Kite Runner better because there seemed to be more surprises, but I'm glad I read this.

I am going to pass this along and put it in Indygo88's Best of BC Bookbox.

guinaveve's Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 6 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Arrived home to me in my bookbox. I read this on audio earlier this year & it just didn't impress me as much as it did most other people. I liked The Kite Runner much better. As it happens, I saw another BC'er searching for this book on the forums to send to her B-day buddy, so I'm going to ship it off very shortly to her!

Journal Entry 7 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, August 01, 2008
Shipping off to BethanieKay in a trade!

Journal Entry 8 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Thursday, August 07, 2008
Received today as a trade from indygo88, who generously answered my 'call for help' on the forums :) This book is going to my BC Birthday Buddy next month, where it will travel across the pond and continue its journey!

Thanks again!

Journal Entry 9 by BethanieKay at Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 05, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/5/2008 UTC) at Postal Release, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RABCK TO BIRMINGHAM-ROSE!

This book is now on its way across the pond to birmingham-rose in the UK ... you have this on your wishlist, so I hope you still want it! I hope it arrives to you by your birthday on 25 September!! Looking at past JE's for this book, I guess it was just destined to be a birthday book once again! :)

Happy Travels, little book ... :)

Journal Entry 10 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 15, 2008
Thank you so much Beth for this book, it was on my wishlist. I am sorry for the late JE, the book got buried under a mountain of paperwork in the office and I had forgotten about it until your little reminder email. I am looking forward to reading this book as I really enjoyed Hosseini's Kite Runner.