The Remains of the Day

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ronsar on 3/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ronsar on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
A good book which became an excellent movie

Journal Entry 2 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, June 01, 2008
Met ronsar yesterday in Kifisia, and she gave me the book, even though this was intended as a "apapsa+alaleon" dedication release.

I'll try to read this a.s.a.p. and release it in time for the upcoming nuptials!

Journal Entry 3 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, August 10, 2008
What with the foot injury and houseguests I only managed to complete this today.

I'm glad to have read it. Even though the story is familiar to me (having previously viewed the film adaptation), there's more to appreciate in the self-reflective & yet detached narrative, as told by the aging butler Mr. Stevens.
As he is 'motoring' across the English countryside in the 1950's, he reflects back to the early 1930's, all the while commenting on the nature of a 'true gentleman', in terms of honor, dignity and truth.
But the actual circumstances of his life as they unfold, indicate there is more Stevens has yet to learn regarding 'foolishness'.

"Perhaps, then, there is something to his advice that I should cease looking back so much, that I should adopt a more positive outlook and try to make the best of the remains of my day. After all, what can we ever gain in forever looking back and blaming ourselves if our lives had not turned out quite as we might have wished? The hard reality is, surely, that for the likes of you and me, there is little choice other than to leave our fate, ultimately, in the hands of those great gentlemen at the hub of this world who employ our services. What is the point of in worrying oneself too much about what one could or could not have done to control the course one’s life took? Surely it is enough that the likes of you and me at least try to make our small contribution count for something true and worthy. And if some of us are prepared to sacrifice much in life in order to pursue such aspirations, surely that is in itself, whatever the outcome, cause for pride and contentment."

Journal Entry 4 by okyrhoe at by Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 15, 2008

RABCK - Will be sent by post to Singapore.

Journal Entry 5 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Thanks to a wonderful bookcrosser from the land of Greek mythologies for sending me this surprise title from my wishlist, and a nice postcard with scenery of Athens, Plaka. The place looks very nice with houses and cafes standing alongside a cobblestone footpath. It must be a happening place =)

Journal Entry 6 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Sunday, September 23, 2012
This book has been on my shelf since 2008, regret I didn't give it my full attention it warranted ;-) And now after having read it, I really like it. It's very meaningful read, and I like the quote many others like:

"Don't keep looking back all the time, you are bound to be depressed. So all right, you can't do your job as well as you used to, but isn't it the same for everyone? We've got to put our feet up at some point. So, we are not exactly in our first flush of youth...we still have to keep looking forward, and we should adopt a more positive outlook and try to make the best of the remains of our day. Afterall, what can we gain in forever looking back and blaming ourselves if our lives have not turned out quite as we might have wished..."

And like what Ms Kenton said about feeling negative sometimes:

"...but they pass quickly enough...Of course there are occasions now and then when I think what a terrible mistake I have made with my life, and you get to think about a different life, a better life, but each time I do so, I realize before long one can't be forever dwelling on what might have been. One should realize one has as good as most, perhaps better, and be grateful.

Of all said, I admire Mr Stevens for his achievements, integrity and dignity being butler to Lord Darlington. Though talking to such person in real life can be as exasperating as how Ms Kenton felt :-D