Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories

by Hollis Gillespie | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0060562072 Global Overview for this book
Registered by princess-peapod of San Luis Obispo, California USA on 3/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
I admit I bought this because of the title, but it looks to be an amusing read!

From Publishers Weekly
NPR commentator Gillespie follows her debut collection of autobiographical essays (Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch) with more tales from Atlanta's dark side. This latest installment of entertaining but uneven pieces uses as fodder Gillespie's friends, family, work as a flight attendant and neighborhood of "drug addicts, whores, and crack dealers." The author's straightforward writing style does not limit her subject matter, and she finds humor in the bleakest subjects, like her mother's death from liver cancer or her neighbor's house being set on fire. The pieces range from lighthearted to downright depressing, and as a collection can feel repetitive, as Gillespie retells her family's history whenever she writes about them. Her strongest writing appears when she's talking about her young daughter, Milly (e.g., in "The Dead Guy," she relates trying to distract Milly as they drive by a dead person on the side of the road—which is evidently not an uncommon occurrence in her neighborhood). Gillespie's work may appeal to readers in the Atlanta area and fans of her NPR commentaries and previous book, but might be too grim for a wider audience.

As they said this can be a bit on the dark side, she does have a certain style though that makes for good reading.

as part of a book trade..enjoy!

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, May 12, 2008
I received this book today as a book trade for: Kiss of Darkness by: Laurell K. Hamilton. You should receive it soon. Thank you for the trade!

I am looking forward to reading this book! It looks right up my alley, a little strange, weird and crazy - that's me! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, July 31, 2008
I really liked this book, (very similar to Laurie Notaro or Jen Lancaster, even David Sedaris) it was funny, wry, sarcastic, a bit crazy, and her friends and family are "eccentric" to say the least. But parts of the book were really sad and poignant, too. Those sort of caught me by surprise, but I liked it anyway. It made the funny stuff seem more real.

I am offering this as a bookray/ray-it-forward...

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, August 09, 2008
This is the International Bookray for Confessions of a Recovering Slut by: Hollis Gillespie. Please PM me if you would like to join!

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address. (Always check to make sure the list hasn’t changed.) Make sure the person is able to take the book.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of the book.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. Try to keep the book for only a month. If you are having trouble please PM me or e-mail me.: j.chaban(at)comcast.net.
6. If you see anyone on this list who is a known staller of bookrings please let me know that too!
7. At the end the last person will send as RABCK to HunterRyu.
8. Most importantly have fun and enjoy the book!!
Thank you!

JennyC1230

Particpants:

1. Angela861/Intl. (Illinois)
2. Cartergirl97/US only (Michigan)
3. Bluestocking88/US only (Washington)
4. NMReader/US or Canada pref. (New Mexico)
5. qweenoftheworld/US only (California)
6. Bug2004/US pref. (Nebraska)
7. Lorelei03/US only (New York)
<---Travelling for 1 year!
8. JennyC1230 for International shipping!

9. Vekiki/UK only (UK)
10. Wickedlazy/Intl. (UK)
11. sunfi/US & Canada pref. (Ohio)
12. spaceystacey/US only (New Jersey)

Last person send to HunterRyu for a RABCK from their wishlist! <---Book is here!

**Asked to be skipped**: Classicfox (Ohio), Solskinn (Austria), J4shaw (Australia), BethanieKay (Texas), MyssCyn (Texas), Shelly3110 (Australia), madnad (Spain), hshah (UK), rebeccaljames (Ohio)

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/18/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to angela861 to start this Bookray/Ray it Forward! Sent via Media Mail - Delivery Confirmation #9102805213683156275206.

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
The book arrived safely! Thanks, JennyC1230 for sharing! :-) I have another book ahead of it but will read and pass on soon.

Journal Entry 8 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, September 03, 2008
This was a pretty quick read. The book was a bit dark @ times but I really enjoyed the writing style. I did like her odd sense of humor. :-) Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I got a chance to read it!

I have the next person's address and will be sending it on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by angela861 at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 05, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/5/2008 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next reader... Happy Reading!!

Journal Entry 10 by cartergirl97 from New Haven, Michigan USA on Thursday, September 18, 2008
I just got this in the mail. It looks like a very interesting read. :)

Journal Entry 11 by cartergirl97 from New Haven, Michigan USA on Thursday, September 25, 2008
I could not get into this book at all! Hopefully the next person will enjoy it more!

Journal Entry 12 by cartergirl97 from New Haven, Michigan USA on Friday, September 26, 2008
Being mailed to bluestocking88 tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 13 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Monday, October 06, 2008
This arrived in today's mail. I have not read Gillespie's first book, but this looks entertaining.

Journal Entry 14 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Sunday, November 30, 2008
I just could not get into this book. I'm not easily offended, and I usually find irreverent humor and bad language rather amusing. Jen Lancaster and Laurie Notaro are excellent examples of a writer than knows how to mix substance and irreverance and how to use dysfunction in a functional way.

Gillespie just struck me as foul, crude, and classless. I couldn't move beyond the crass language--it seemed she never missed an opportunity to insert a string of obsenities--and it rarely added to the stories. Try as I might, I could not interest myself in her friends or her life. I had the feeling she was intelligent, yet slumming with lowlife morons. I'm 75 pages into the book and am still struggling to get the point of her writing. I guess she's just not my flavor. I am sure there are readers that will find this amusing, but I'm just not one of them. I'll be wrapping this up and mailing it off later this week.

Thank you for giving me a turn, it may not have been my type of book, but I'm glad I had a chance to give this a try.

Journal Entry 15 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Monday, December 22, 2008
This is going out in today's mail to NMReader. Classicfox has asked to be skipped. I apologize for the delay. Happy travels little book.

Book was returned to me, but was handed to a postal employee this afternoon. 1/6/2009

Journal Entry 16 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 18, 2009
It has arrived. Looking forward to reading

Journal Entry 17 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, February 20, 2009
JennyC1230 has granted me some additional time to finish the book. I ave just started and if things go well hope to finish either over the weekend or on Monday.

Journal Entry 18 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 26, 2009
I would like to say this book lived up to the expectations of its name but it did not for me. I expected this book to be more funny then it was. As a column in a newspaper or magazine I think I might have enjoyed this but a whole book was too much.

Journal Entry 19 by NMReader at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/28/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

I am sorry this took so ling but in all honesty I think it was partially that I wasn't that into this book.

On its way to the next participant.

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0308 2690 0000 4648 9210

Journal Entry 20 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Saturday, March 07, 2009
Will start reading now.

Journal Entry 21 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Friday, March 13, 2009
I was lauging out loud at many parts of this book. No, it's definitely not something to read aloud to your grade school class, but I'd still highly reccomend it for adult readers. I think this book would be enjoyed by someone who enjoys the essays and magazine columns of Augusten Burroughs, as well as someone who enjoys the writings of David Sedaris, Sandra Tsing Log, and Cynthia Kaplan. If someone asked me to describe Hollis Gillespie, I'd say, "Think Cynthia Kaplan or Sandra Loh, if they used more blue langage." Oh, and if you enjoy the stand-up of folks like Lewis Black and Henry Rollins, I'd suggest reading Gillespie. I will send this on when I am clear as to who it goes to.

Journal Entry 22 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Thursday, March 19, 2009
Finally got this in the mail today to J.C. in Nebraska. (Took it to the post office this afternoon and sent it book rate.) Sorry for the delay. Here is the tracking number:
03082040000165611487

Journal Entry 23 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Re'cvd today. Will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 24 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 11, 2009
What a fun, quirky trip. I laughed out loud several times...enjoyed her style of writing. I know several said they were offended, but I wasn't...not sure what that says about me. ;)

I'm so sorry for keeping it so long!! Off to Lorelei03 today.

Journal Entry 25 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Received an e-mail from Lorelei03 today:

mea culpa Jenny!!!

Great book, thank you! I've shot off a note to spaceystacey and promise to send the book off to her this week.

Thanks for sharing!
Lori

Journal Entry 26 by Lorelei03 from Flushing, New York USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Well, first off, vast apologies for my huge lapse in BC etiquette! Will be sure to get this off to the next person by the end of the week!

Now, I really liked this book and now will look for the first book she wrote - Bleachy Haired Honky Bitch. I kept wavering between whether I LIKED the author or not, but where ever I landed, I still think it was a great read. Thanks for sharing JennyC!

Journal Entry 27 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, September 25, 2009
This book is back with me for a short visit before going overseas to the next Bookray participant!

Journal Entry 28 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, October 09, 2009
Mailing to Vekiki today. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 29 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Arrived today - just before our postal strikes start tommorrow :)

Journal Entry 30 by wingVekikiwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/11/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Popped in the post today

Journal Entry 31 by wickedlazy from Wickford, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, November 12, 2009
Safely received

**update 21 November 2009**

I really liked this book - she reminds me of me when I was younger - not the slut bit but the drinking and getting up to silly things. Also her change in attitude when she became a mother, again I can relate to that. I wasn't laughing out loud but I did enjoy her dry humour.

Will PM the next in line.

Journal Entry 32 by wickedlazy at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/28/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

In the post to the next person in the bookring

Journal Entry 33 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 07, 2009
Caught in Ohio, I have a number of rings/rays ahead of this one, but I keep my profile updated weekly so you can always see how close this one is to the top.

Journal Entry 34 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010
This was okay, the stories were a little disjointed and it didn't necessarily flow for me. There were a lot of characters introduced and I would have liked to have more details on some of the more prominent characters. I haven't heard her on NPR, I'll have to pay a little more attention to see if I can find her there. I contacted rebeccajames (as she is next on the list) and she asked to be skipped, so this book will travel to spaceystacey this week.

Journal Entry 35 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/6/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Sent off to spaceystacey today with DC #0308 2690 0001 4291 0939, the book should be there in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 36 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Thursday, January 14, 2010
This package was sent DC and here is the information from the usps.com site:
Label/Receipt Number: 0308 2690 0001 4291 0939
Scheduled for Delivery: Thursday, January 14, 2010
Class: Package Services
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™
Status: Delivered

Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM on January 14, 2010 in BRIDGETON, NJ 08302.

Detailed Results:

Delivered, January 14, 2010, 12:10 pm, BRIDGETON, NJ 08302
Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, January 14, 2010, 8:49 am, BRIDGETON, NJ 08302
Sorting Complete, January 14, 2010, 8:19 am, BRIDGETON, NJ 08302
Arrival at Post Office, January 14, 2010, 7:44 am, BRIDGETON, NJ 08302
Processed through Sort Facility, January 12, 2010, 7:06 pm, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19919
Processed through Sort Facility, January 08, 2010, 3:50 pm, WARRENDALE, PA 15095
Acceptance, January 06, 2010, 11:14 am, DAYTON, OH 45429

Just returned home from work, checked the mail and have my son's computer(he left it here today) so I am journaling this book received in the post today.

03/11/2010 delivered to HunterRyu's address. I hope she will enjoy the read as much as I did.

Journal Entry 37 by wingHunterRyuwing from West Norriton, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, May 06, 2010
Found this book in my newspaper tube. I'm not sure how long it was there because we don't have that subscription anymore so we don't look in there. WHOOPS! It is safe because it was left in a bookcrossing ziplock bag. What a surprise!

Journal Entry 38 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, May 30, 2010
What an interesting trip this book has been on! I am glad that a lot of people enjoyed reading the book. I'm also glad it made it's way to HunterRyu! The bookray is over and HunterRyu can do what she likes with the book now.