The Friday Night Knitting Club

by Kate Jacobs | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 9780425219096 Global Overview for this book
Registered by morsecode of Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on 3/1/2008
Journal Entry 1 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Saturday, March 01, 2008
Book description:
A charming and moving novel about female friendship and the experiences that knit us together-even when we least expect it.

Walker & Daughter is Georgia Walker's little yarn shop, tucked into a quiet storefront on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The Friday Night Knitting Club was started by some of Georgia's regulars, who gather once a week to work on their latest projects and to chat — and occasionally clash — over their stories of love, life, and everything in between.

Georgia has her hands full, juggling the demands of running the store and raising her spunky teen daughter, Dakota, by herself. Thank goodness for Anita, her mentor and dear friend, and the rest of the members of the knitting club-who are just as varied as the skeins of yarn in the shop's bins. There's Petra, a prelaw student turned handbag designer; Darwin, a somewhat aloof feminist grad student; and Lucie, a petite, quiet woman who's harboring some secrets of her own.

However, unexpected changes soon throw these women's lives into disarray, and the shop's comfortable world gets shaken up like a snow globe. James, Georgia's ex, decides that he wants to play a larger role in Dakota's life — and possibly Georgia's as well. Kat, a former friend from high school, returns to New York as a rich Park Avenue wife and uneasily renews her old bond with Georgia. Meanwhile, Anita must confront her growing (and reciprocated) feelings for Marty, the kind neighborhood deli owner. And when the unthinkable happens, they realize what they've created: not just a knitting club, but a sisterhood.

I splurged on this book when I was stuck in JFK. There wasn't a huge book selection in my terminal, but I vaguely remembered hearing something good about The Friday Night Knitting Club so I picked it up.

I thought the book was fine. I liked the story and the various characters in it (some of them make very strange decisions, but I guess that makes them more realistic in some way), but The Friday Night Knitting Club definitely feels like a first novel. It could have been better.

There are some things in the novel that just don't make sense, like the student obsessed with Julia Roberts. It was unnecessary and didn't add anything to the narrative. And, I don't remember Jacob ever giving an explanation of Darwin's name. Not that that's terribly important, but given that Darwin's family was very traditional it seems like a very strange choice for them and because of that an explanation really was in order.

The other thing I didn't particularly like about the book was the pattern in the back. I know that the author and publishers were following along with what's been done with a lot of knitting fiction and I don't have a problem with that, I just think they made a poor choice in pattern. Who needs a super basic scarf pattern? It would have made much more sense to include the pattern for the sweater that all the club ladies were knitting at one point because that is much more connected to the story.

I offered this book in a non-genre swap on BookObsessed.
It's going to Aceofhearts. I'll deliver it to her next time I see her at an Oakville meetup.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 07, 2008
received in the mail today. Thanks

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Georgia Walker is a single mother who owns a yarn shop in Manhattan. The club consists of her daughter Dakota, a 12-year-old, who flits in and out of the club with baked goods and entrepreneurial ambitions; a widow named Anita who is Georgia's mentor; an academic named Darwin ; a 40-year-old single woman named Lucie who fools a date into getting her pregnant; an aspiring purse designer and part-time worker in the shop named Petra ; Georgia's best friend, named K.C. in her mid-40s hoping to get into law school; and Georgia's childhood friend Cat who is a wealthy wife bored to tears.

When Dakota's father, James comes back into Georgia's life, Georgia's life becomes even more hectic than it already is. James wants to spend more time with Dakota and also Georgia. Dakota loves having a dad around and loves the gifts she gets.

Anita is Georgia's sounding board and mentor. She is a widow but her children are now grown and living elsewhere. Marty the downstairs Deli owner is interested in Anita.

Darwin, Lucie, Petra and K. C. all have their own issues which the other members of the knitting club help them with.

The pattern at the end of the book is for a scarf and I would have expected to see the sweater pattern that everyone in the club was knitting. ???

This was an okay book. It seemed to me that the story has been done before and was not as smooth as it should have been.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2012
mailed to Elsi who won this in a YBS swap on BookObsessed

Journal Entry 5 by elsi at Sanger, Texas USA on Saturday, January 21, 2012
Arrived in today's mail with two audio books. My TBR stack is getting higher!