The Silent Boy

by Lois Lowry | Children's Books |
ISBN: 0440419808 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Aramena of Noble, Oklahoma USA on 2/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Aramena from Noble, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, February 24, 2008
Library book sale - yay!

Journal Entry 2 by Aramena from Noble, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
I grabbed this because it's by Lois Lowry, and I absolutely loved The Giver. So did my daughter so I thought she might want to read this also, but she wasn't interested. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read, though not as good as The Giver.

Journal Entry 3 by Aramena at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/15/2009 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

Sent off to Lukutuoli as Book #7 in my Soccerchik Made Varsity Celebration RABCK!

Journal Entry 4 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Thanks a lot for this RABCK, Aramena !! I've really enjoyed this author before, and I'm happy to receive this book. The bookmark is cute, too :) I do my best to let the book travel again, after I've read it, I know there are many other friends of Lowry among bookcrossers...

Journal Entry 5 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, January 08, 2010
This book started with such a slow tempo, that I found it dull, but fortunately the intensity of the story grew towards the end. As a whole I enjoyed this little novel as Lowry's books always! The contrast between the neat and balanced life of Katy and the later, tragic happenings in her surroundings made the point in this book. It was somewhat unconvincing, that a little girl became so interested in the silent boy, Jacob, however.
I'll send the book to a fellow-bookcrosser as a wishlist surprise :)

#6 for Reduce Mount TBR 2010 Challenge by DoveiLibri

Journal Entry 6 by winglukutuoliwing at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 08, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/9/2010 UTC) at by Post, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

The Silent Boy will start travelling to find new readers :) I hope you'll enjoy this wishlist book!

Journal Entry 7 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
What a lovely surprise! Thank you! You have made my day. :)

Journal Entry 8 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 06, 2017
Hmmmm I was not able to finish this short book. Could not get into it. Different from her other books, which I have enjoyed.

Journal Entry 9 by lauraloo29 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 15, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (4/19/2017 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to caroline-m. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by caroline-m at New Eltham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 13, 2017
Received as a RABCK from Lauraloo29 - thank you so much for sharing, will look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 11 by caroline-m at Sidcup, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 24, 2018
Although short, this book really drew me in. I enjoyed seeing the world through the eyes of the young narrator, and having a glimpse of what to her is ordinary everyday life but is so different from my own. I did pick up on a hint early on about what would happen at the end, so it did feel a bit like I raced through the book just to see if my suspicions were confirmed, but still really enjoyed the read. I didn't think it was strange that Katy was fascinated with Jacob as another reader mentioned, because it seems that she would be intrigued by someone so different/alien to everything that is familiar to her.

Released 2 yrs ago (3/3/2019 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Added to Teens/Children's bookbox

Journal Entry 13 by T_richardson_x at Ferndale, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Taken from the bookbox!

Journal Entry 14 by T_richardson_x at Ferndale, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 20, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (6/21/2019 UTC) at Ferndale, Wales United Kingdom

Added to "What the Reviewers Said" bookbox!

Journal Entry 15 by wingelstapladorwing at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 12, 2019
Taken out of the 'What the reviewers said' bookbox

Journal Entry 16 by wingelstapladorwing at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 03, 2020
Both prompted and illustrated by a collection of period photographs, this is a short book, but one with a lot of depth to it. It's a skillful depiction of the loss of innocence from the point of view of the one who loses it. Perhaps some of the characters lacked depth; but then perhaps that fits with the restriction implied by having a child as narrator.