The Last Precinct

by Patricia Cornwell | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Vespa of Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on 5/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008
Amazon.co.uk Review
What is peculiarly impressive about Patricia Cornwell's new addition to her popular series about the pathologist Kay Scarpetta, The Last Precinct, is that it is a book in which everything is up for grabs and all is at stake. Murders we thought settled for good in previous books, with guilt allocated and people arrested or killed, suddenly come bubbling to the surface again. Kay finds herself accused of the killing of difficult Deputy Police Chief Diane Bray, and of framing the deformed psychopath who killed Diane and burst into Kay's home with murderous intent. Even the hideous death of Kay's lover Benton, several books ago, turns out to have been more complicated than we thought. Kay finds herself in jeopardy several times over with her headstrong lesbian niece, her only entirely reliable ally. This is a book in which Cornwell takes her heroine into new areas--we get the same amount of complicated forensic lore, but there is a new personal urgency to it, a sense that detection is not a game. Kay's relationships with colleagues have always been prickly, but here they become more problematic than ever before; Cornwell's admirers will be pleased by this, her most tense and nervy book for years.

Journal Entry 2 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Sunday, August 09, 2009
this book follows straight on from the last one, as Kay tries to pick up the pieces of her shattered life after Chandonne's attempted murder of her. As Kay faces a Grand Jury, old cases come bubbling to the surface and her life gets even more complicated than it usually is !!
I'm glad that this book followed straight on from the last one, as there was way to much emotional baggage that needed sorting out after the last case, but I did find all the events somewhat unbelievable. How many more times is Teflon Lucy going to fall straight on her feet, how much more muck can be slung at Kay.
I'm feeling somewhat wrung out by all the emotion.
Now passing on to
Pea Martin
Candy-is-dandy
Sandyundead

Journal Entry 3 by PeaMartian from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, August 27, 2009
Recieved with thanks - this was waiting for me when I got back from a couple of weeks away - a very nice welcome home! Added to TBR...

Journal Entry 4 by suedo at Spennymoor, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Passed on to me by a very apologetic PeaMartian to see if I can get it moving again. I will PM Candy-is-dandy to see if she still wants to read it

Journal Entry 5 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, August 04, 2017
Why not? I'm still not through the Scarpetta series and when I checked this is next in the series. So thanks to Suedo, Peamartian and Vespa for this ongoing, if somewhat slow bookring. ;-p

Journal Entry 6 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 10, 2017
It is some time since I read the previous book in the series, Black Notice, and my memory of that story had faded. This one starts immediately after and continues Dr Scarpetta's involvement with the evil Jean-Baptiste Chandonne and the investigation into his gory past. Therefore, it took me a while to get back into the story and I wasn't sure whether to continue reading. However, once into it I couldn't stop reading this grisly tale. What a horrid world.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/13/2017 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

A book on a delayed ring - off to Poland now.

Journal Entry 8 by sandyundead at Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Sunday, October 22, 2017
Picked this up from the post office a couple of weeks ago - thanks candy-is-dandy! I'll read it next and send it on its way as soon as I can :) Just hoping I can remember what happened before...

Journal Entry 9 by sandyundead at Bydgoszcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie Poland on Saturday, December 15, 2018
It's a long time since I've read a Scarpetta book, and it took me a while to get back into it. In the middle I briefly wondered whether I actually want to read any more of them as the descriptions of the bodies are so graphic, but the characters, and especially Kay, brought me back into it, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one now and finding out what happens next.
Reading candy-is-dandy's comment, it looks like we had the same experience.
(and oops...somewhat failed to read it next, though a year isn't bad!)