Kiss of the Spider Woman (Arena Books)

by Manuel Puig | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099342006 Global Overview for this book
Registered by abitstormyout of Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 2/19/2008
Journal Entry 1 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Different cover.

Extract from an Amazon.co.uk Review:

Valentin and Molina are two men that share a prison cell, during the Argentinian dictatorship of the late 1970's. Molina is a sensitive soul that happens to be an homosexual, and Valentin a revolutionary that despises the fact that Molina has no political ideas (and is confused by the notion that someone can choose to be gay). Due to the fact that both share the same cell, Valentin and Molina spend some time talking to each other about their ideas and feelings, something they wouldn't have done in any other circumstance. Despite their differences, an unlikely friendship will begin between them, a friendship that may well turn into something more.

Journal Entry 2 by abitstormyout at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, February 22, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/22/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero in Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom

Passing this to Pakasanelly as promised!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2008
I saw this film years and years ago, no idea where or who with, but do remember enjoying it, especially as I had a thing for William Hurt (Molina) at the time. Then I tried to buy it, perhaps a couple of years ago, but it was 'out of print'.

My interest was rekindled when the DVD was offered free with a newspaper. Then TF said she had the book so decided to read it first. Thanks TurquoiseFloyd!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
I enjoyed this book far more than I expected, from the start of it, considering how verbose it is. I think, in a strange way, having seen the film helped, although the ‘sub-plot’ (if I can call it that to avoid spoilers) had escaped my memory completely. It is quite touching at times - certainly not a light-hearted read! I am definitely going to watch the film again now :o)

In the second half of the book Molina's semi-random thoughts are sometimes interspersed with his film-telling which I didn't think added anything worthwhile.

What I did find very odd was the amount of book given to ‘footnotes’; in fact, a thesis on homosexuality. Why on earth did Puig include this? Wasn’t touching on it in the story enough? I started to read it but a) it interfered with the story, b) I’d just read a fiction book with a focus on Freud/ Oedipus complex (so had enough of Freud for the time being) and c) I’m familiar with current thinking on the foetal development of sexuality and prefer not to read about the ‘painful’ theories of the past!

Passing back to TF on Sat 26th April.

Journal Entry 5 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 26, 2008
Returned to me today by Pakasanelly!