The Girl in Times Square

by Paullina Simons | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by chicklitfan of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 2/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by chicklitfan from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, February 14, 2008
Picked this up recently after a friends recommendation. May keep in permanent collection or bookcross it afterwards.

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, November 16, 2014
Picked up at a meetup with the Wellington bookcrossers. It came highly recommended by Sherlockfan, so it'll be interesting to see if I agree.

Journal Entry 3 by chicklitfan at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (11/14/2014 UTC) at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Released at the meal out at the Zaika Restaurant.

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 23, 2015
I almost gave up on this book a few chapters in, because I was just so annoyed with the main character and her reluctance around the lottery ticket. I've never been able to deal with characters (or people in real life, for that matter) who have the solution to major problems easily within their reach, yet fail to act.

Luckily though, events in the book moved on in such a way as to remove that irritation, and I was able to settle down into the book and enjoy it. Some very traumatic moments, and some very damaged characters (that family has got to be the definition of dysfunctional!), but the pace was such to keep me turning the pages, and the author mostly resisted the temptation of the melodramatic (mostly - some of the basement stuff crossed the line a bit).

The ending (spoiler alert, highlight to read) almost risked being a little too "happily ever after", but was rescued by the hint that Lily's sister would be killed in the September 11 attacks, and worse, would only be in the building because Lily was out of town - definitely not a happily ever after for Lily, then. (spoiler ends)

So yeah, not what I expected, and worth reading.

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, May 17, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (5/17/2015 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

On the table at this afternoon's meetup.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 6 by chicklitfan at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/9/2015 UTC) at Chicago Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Released at our bookcrossing meetup