The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ladybug74 of Dothan, Alabama USA on 2/13/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2008
I received this book in the mail today from another paperbackswap.com member as a gift from JDT. She found this on my wishlist and was sweet enough to use her PBS point to have it sent to me! This was for winning a Valentine's Day RABCK contest. Thank you! I will enjoy reading this one I'm sure!

You have found a bookcrossing book! I hope that you enjoy reading this book, then pass it along to a friend, neighbor, family member, co-worker, or simply leave it somewhere for another lucky reader to find as you did! If this book isn’t the type that you like to read, please be kind enough to help it on its journey.

Please take a moment to leave a journal entry to let me know where you found this book. You may remain anonymous if you wish. After you read the book, please come back and let me know what you thought about it and what you will do with the book when you finish with it. You may come back any time to read where this book has traveled and what others thought about it. Thank you for letting me know where this book has traveled!

Journal Entry 2 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
PLEASE SEE MY JOURNAL ENTRY BELOW. THIS BOOK HAS BEEN LOST AND ALL REMAINING PARTICIPANTS HAVE BEEN REFERRED TO ANOTHER INTERNATIONAL BOOKRAY FOR THIS BOOK.

I am starting this book now and plan to send it out on a book ray when I am finished with it. I noticed that lots of members have this one on their wishlists and at least one member has mentioned interest in joining a ring or ray for this book.

This ray is now international thanks to some generous bookcrossers who have agreed to ship anywhere. When you join, please let me know your shipping preferences.

From the back of the book:
"A most untraditional love story, this is the celebrated tale of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who involuntarily travels through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate affair endures across the sea of time and captures them in an impossibly romantic trap that tests the strength of fate and basks in the bonds of love."

Here are the rules for the book ray:
1. Please journal as soon as you receive the book and again after you read it and mail it to the next person. This will help everyone else keep up with the book's current location.
2. Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (after the book that you are currently reading and any other rings/rays that arrived before this one.)
3. If you don't think you will be able to read this book within a reasonable time (approx. 1 month to 6 weeks max.) after receiving it, please let me know before the book is mailed to you. I will be happy to move your name down on the list if needed.
4. After you read the book, please PM the next person on the list for their address. If you get the next person's address from RABCK.com, you may want to PM them just to ensure that the address has not changed.
5. Mail the book to the next person on the list using the cheapest shipping method available.
6. PM me if you have any problems with contacting the next person so I can help with trying to contact her/him.
7. The last person to receive the book may pass it on to someone else or wild release the book. All that I ask is for the book to be passed on for someone else to read, but not to be sold.

Here is where the book will be traveling. This will be updated as others join:
300dogs, NJ - USA
Elphaba71, UK -- asked to be skipped
annalux, France<<-------book is here
sky-so-blue, Portugal----no response to PMs, skipped
ana-b, Netherlands
Shelly-Sparkles, Australia (ship to Australia)
fairy-whispers, Australia (within Australia)
Mozette, Australia (international)
blackteiwaz, Costa Rica (within America)

Journal Entry 3 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, March 17, 2008
I really enjoyed this book! It started out a little confusing for me because it switches from year to year as Henry time travels. The year, the age of Henry, and age of Clare are told at the beginning of each section. Because he is time traveling throughout the book, Henry is sometimes much older than Clare, sometimes younger, and sometimes closer to her age. I did not stay confused for long, though. I didn't get too far into it before the book seemed to flow much more smoothly for me. Clare is a "normal" person whose life is sequential, but her husband Henry has a rare chromosomal disorder that causes him to move backward and forward in time unexpectedly. The worst part for Henry seems to be that he cannot take anything with him when he goes, including his clothes, and he doesn't know where or in what year he will end up when he travels through time. Be warned that there was a little bit of explicit language throughout the book, but this did not take away from this great love story. I don't like mushy gushy love stories and rarely read anything even resembling a romance, but I loved this book and would recommend it to others.

Released 13 yrs ago (3/18/2008 UTC) at via U.S. Postal Service in Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Mailing book via USPS to 300dogs, the first participant in the book ray. Hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Monday, March 24, 2008
The Time Traveler's Wife arrived safely today from ladybug74. I have two other rays ahead of this and will get to it asap. Thank you ladybug74 for starting this ray--I look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 6 by 300dogs from Jackson, New Jersey USA on Thursday, May 1, 2008
I really had high hopes for this book and unfortunately, it wasn't one of my favorites. Like the previous JE, I did find it a bit confusing all the way through out the story. The explicit language was a shocker as well. I know that ladybug74 mentioned that in her JE but I must have forgotten that part!!

I will go to the post office this afternoon and mail this off to grubsneerg who is next in line. Thank you ladybug74 for starting this ring!!

Journal Entry 7 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 5, 2008
Received this in today's mail. Thanks for sending, 300dogs, and for sharing, ladybug74! I'm going to start reading it right away.

Journal Entry 8 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, May 11, 2008
I'm a big fan of time travel stories in general; there's something about the logic of it all that fascinates me. I really enjoyed this book. The certainty of Clare and Henry's relationship was very appealing, because you knew their sad times would be balanced by many happy times. I'll be thinking about this one for a long time.

Thanks for sharing, ladybug74. I'll be sending this off to rebeccaljames tomorrow!

Journal Entry 9 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 12, 2008
It's on its way to rebeccaljames. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, May 15, 2008
I received this book today. I am looking forward to reading it. I have a couple ahead of it and then I will get to it. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 11 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, July 18, 2008
I will be mailing this out to BooksandJava Saturday morning.

Journal Entry 12 by BooksAndJava from Knoxville, Tennessee USA on Monday, July 28, 2008
Received in the mail today! I will be passing it on soon too, as I somehow signed myself up for two bookrays. I guess I'm a bit eager to read this book.

Journal Entry 13 by BooksAndJava at Rochester, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (8/5/2008 UTC) at Rochester, Minnesota USA

It will be on it's way this afternoon! Sorry about the confusion of me signing up for two different rays for this book. Just too eager, I suppose. :)

Journal Entry 14 by hfitz5051 from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Arrived safely on Monday! I will get started on it today.

Journal Entry 15 by hfitz5051 from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, August 21, 2008
Wow! I thought this book was great. I may have to go buy a copy now so I can read it over and over again! I did have to flip back a few times, but generally found it pretty easy to follow.

I'll pm next on the list now and get it out asap.

Journal Entry 16 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Sunday, October 12, 2008
Got the book a couple days ago and started reading (couldn't get on the computer to journal right away - work scheds and kid stuff). I'm very much enjoying it so far. Will journal again when done, of course, and we'll see if my rating changes.

Journal Entry 17 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Monday, October 27, 2008
Very interesting right from the start, but sort of lagged a bit toward the end. Plenty of food for thought. Love the fact that Henry-the-librarian is into punk! Gomez bugs me. Clare's loveable but frustratingly dense sometimes. Charisse is tragic. Kimy's great. Poor Alba's name is awful, but she's not. Celia and Ingrid deserve each other. I so would have not been trying to have a baby with Henry's condition - crazy and irresponsible thing to do!! "Honey, where's the baby? Oh, she just disappeared. Probably time travelled back to the zoo. You know how fond of the tigers she is..." !?
Overall, liked it very much

Nov 6 - mailed yesterday

Journal Entry 18 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, November 17, 2008
Arrived in the mail while I was away. I'll get to it as soon as I finish my current read. Thanks for sending this on rooshill!

Journal Entry 19 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, December 16, 2008
I really liked this one. The structure was challenging, but appropriate. This is an impressive first novel. I don't have much to add to the other JE's re characters and the language didn't bother me. I'll recommend this one to others.

Will PM Slayermel for address.

Journal Entry 20 by MarysGirl from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, January 9, 2009
2008 Keep Them Moving Challenge #11

On its way to Slayermel. Thanks for sharing ladybug74!

Journal Entry 21 by Slayermel from Shelburne, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 22, 2009
Book arrived safe & sound :0)
I have one book to finish for another book ring, and then I will start this one. Thank you for sharing your book ladybug74, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 22 by Slayermel from Shelburne, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
What a beautiful and complex love story!
I am stunned that this is Audrey Niffenegger's first book. She weaves such a complex tale of time travel, but makes it easy for the readers to follow along. Henry and Clare are such genuine people as are the other characters in the story, which just makes it so much more believable. Henry is a librarian who has a genetic disorder which causes him to time travel back and forth through his past and future. He finds himself in places, naked trying to find out what year he's in, and scrambling for clothes and money, as he has no control over the time travelling. Clare is the love of Henry's life and his reason to continue on in the madness that is his existence.
The book took me a few pages to get into, and then had me hooked right to the end. I laughed, I cried it was amazing.

I have contacted lizzyblack for her address and will mail the book on as soon as I receive a reply. :0)
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 23 by Slayermel at Brampton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Brampton, Ontario Canada

The book is on it's way to Anita78 in Norway, lizzyblack has asked to be skipped as she has already read the book.

Post Office said could take 4-8 weeks to arrive.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by Anita78 from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
The book arrived today! Thanks for sending, Slayermel, and for sharing, ladybug74!

April 17: I've finished my exams this week, so I haven't had much time for reading. But I've read about 200 pages so far, and unfortunately the story doesn't get to me. It's not like I desperately need to know what happens next. I don't know if I'll try to finish this book or not, - most likely not. Anyway, I've PM'ed vampirequeen for her address.

Journal Entry 25 by Anita78 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/18/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to vampirequeen today.

Journal Entry 26 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, April 23, 2009
Received yesterday. Perfect timing, just finished the book I was reading. And have been looking forward to reading this one, a very odd premise, but looks good. Also, is printed on rather nice paper.

Thanks for sending Anita78, and ladybug74 for hosting!

Journal Entry 27 by vampirequeen from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, May 14, 2009
Finished today, have PMed Elphaba71, but no reply yet.

My thoughts on the book, well time-travel books usuall confuse me greatly, but this one wasn't so bad. It was really interesting to see things (first meeting etc) from both points of view. And poor Clare finally meeting Henry only to find he doesn't know who she is. All in all a very enjoyable book.

Shall be sent off ASAP

25/5 ETA: Elphaba71 asks to be skipped so I shall PM the next person on the list and et it sent on it's way

ETA: Sent off on the 4th of June.

Journal Entry 28 by annalux from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, June 11, 2009
This arrived in the post last week - apologies for not journalling before now, I was in the middle of my exams! However, exams are now over, so I can start reading again, hurrah!

Journal Entry 29 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Thursday, August 27, 2009
I am sorry to have to report this after 12 people have journaled this book, but it appears to have been lost in the mail. I got a PM from ana-b today saying she had received an empty envelope from annalux. I actually had the same experience myself one time when another bookcrosser mailed 2 books to me and I only received the empty envelope. Since the addressed envelope was apparently separated from the book, I will try to look into finding a replacement or another international bookring that the others on the list can join. Maybe someone will find this book later and journal it.

Journal Entry 30 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, September 6, 2009
I have located another international bookray for this book and have sent PMs to the remaining participants suggesting they join that bookray. I was unable to find a replacement copy and think this will be the best solution for all involved. Please see this link for the other bookray, hosted by carefreeabandon:

Thanks to all of you who participated in this bookray. I hope you all enjoyed the book. Thank you 300dogs for offering to help find a replacement, which will not be needed now. I appreciate your kindness!