The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean (P.S.)

by Trevor Corson | Science |
Registered by msjoanna of Columbia, Missouri USA on 2/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Friday, February 15, 2008
From Publishers Weekly
In the 1980s, the lobster population in the waters off the coast of Maine was declining, threatening disaster for the state's lobster fishing industry. Government scientists attributed the drop-off to overfishing and recommended raising the minimum legal size of lobsters that could be harvested. Lobstermen disagreed, contending that their longstanding practice of returning oversized lobsters to the sea as brood stock would take care of the problem. In this intriguing and entertaining book, Corson, a journalist who has reported on such diverse subjects as organ transplants and Chinese sweatshops, brings together the often conflicting worlds of commercial lobstermen and marine scientists, showing how the two sides joined forces and tried for 15 years to solve the mystery of why the lobsters were disappearing. He brings the story to life by concentrating on the lobstermen and their families who live in one Maine fishing community, Little Cranberry Island, and alternating narratives of their lives with accounts of the research of scientists who, obsessed with the curious life of lobsters, conduct experiments that are often as strange and complex as the lobsters themselves. Corson provides more information about the lobster's unusual anatomy, eating habits and sex life than most readers will probably want to know, but he makes it all fascinating, especially when he juxtaposes observations of human behavior and descriptions of the social life of lobsters. However, by the end of the book, the answer to the puzzle remains elusive.

Journal Entry 2 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Friday, February 22, 2008
What a completely random and thoroughly enjoyable book this is. I have no particular interest in lobsters--other than finding them a tasty dinner option occasionally. I've never been to the Cranberry Islands in Maine and I'd be surprised if to learn that I've met any lobster fishermen. Nonetheless, I was completely absorbed by both the details of lobsters and the efforts by scientists to learn more about their lives and the lives of the fishers and fishing village itself. I'd definitely recommend this book as an interesting book nearly guaranteed to be different from whatever you read just before it.

I'll be releasing this into MaryZee's Books About Things Bookbox very soon. (mailed 2/27/08)

Journal Entry 3 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Monday, March 10, 2008
I just ran across this in MaryZee's Books about things bookbox and laughed as I was going to slip my copy in the box but you beat me to it.

I loved reading this book and am glad to see I am not the only one that got caught up in this book. I will put this book back in the box to continue its travels.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 05, 2008
This came home in my "Books about Things" bookbox, and looks somewhat promising. This is exactly the type of book that belongs in this box, and seems interesting enough that I may have to read it. I've read Linda Greenlaw's The Lobster Chronicles: Life on a Very Small Island. She was mentioned in The Perfect Storm, as she was previously a swordfish boat captain. The Lobster Chronicles is about her life when she moves home with her family (she grew up on a small island off the coast of Maine). When I read The Secret Life of Lobsters, perhaps I'll follow it up with Greenlaw's The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey (which I believe is the book she's most known for). Thanks MsJoanna!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, October 31, 2011
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the author made a good choice by juxtaposing the islanders' stories of catching lobsters on a daily basis, and their struggle against the elements and island life against the tale of the scientists and researchers, whether they were working in a lab or out in the field taking frequent samples/measurements of the lobsters and their environment.

This book was a quick read, which took me a couple of weeks ;) only because I was also trying to read several small books for a BC meet next weekend and this book won't be needed til about the end of the year when I send my bookbox out again. So I'd read a chapter or two, then set it down for a few days until I came back to read another chapter or so. So it was definitely me, and not the book that was the problem ;) Thanks for sharing, MsJoanna.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmaryzeewing at Biographies of Things, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (2/13/2012 UTC) at Biographies of Things, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sending out in my Biographies of Things bookbox. Enjoy!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Friday, March 02, 2012
Another fishy tale -- going to put this one back in MaryZee's books about things bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, April 02, 2012
This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California before continuing its travels with the Biographies of Things bookbox!

Journal Entry 9 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Sounds like a good one.

Taken from MaryZee's Biographies of Things box with thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 17, 2013
Fascinating stuff about one of my favorite foods.

Miscellaneous tidbits:

In 1688 a small-town French lawyer swindled a land grant to Mount Desert Island from the Canadian governor. He invented the aristocratic title "sieur de Cadillac" for himself and lorded it over the uninhabited island for a summer. Bored, he soon retreated inland to found a trading post called Detroit. The Cadillac car still bears his fake coat of arms on its hood.

and

In Maine, Verrazano's landing party had been repelled by Native Americans wielding bows and arrows. In fury Verrazano had scrawled the name "Land of Bad People" across his map. When he left, the natives celebrated his eviction from their land - according to Verrazano's log - "by exhibiting bare buttocks and laughing."

Also:

The Lobster Conservancy
Lobster ISS

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/25/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

The lobsters are headed out in MaryZee's Biographies of Things box.

Journal Entry 12 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, October 12, 2013
Taking this out of the box. I missed it in the first round not having enough exchange books.

Journal Entry 13 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Really really good read! Interesting at all the levels, the scientific debates around overfishing, the science discovery journey about the life of lobsters (do they really get out of their shell everytime they grow and mate?) and the generations of a fishing community in Maine.

Started this book while on a vacation in Maine and I will look differently at every lobster on my dinner plate from now on :)

Journal Entry 14 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (8/6/2014 UTC) at Houston, Texas USA

Released as part of the non-fiction VBB to Erishkigal! I guess you will never look again at a lobster on your plate without thinking about this fascinating book.

Journal Entry 15 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, August 17, 2014
LOL~~ I don't expect I shall ! After reading all the previous journals, I am excited to dive right into this one! Thanks for offering and sending on~

Journal Entry 16 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, November 25, 2016
Despite thinking this would be read right away, this disappeared from sight, which of course meant it disappeared from mind. Sigh... Sorry. It resurfaced, and I'm about halfway through, and totally intrigued. Even though this is a busy Black Friday weekend (not shopping-I work retail), it will be finished shortly. :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Look at lobster the same? I may never eat t again at all! Or for that matter, other crustaceans (which I've always been very fond of, gastronomically).
This was a fascinating book, thank you all for passing it down, thus giving me the chance to read it!

I'm now putting it on reserve to go into my Wild Things bookbox.

Journal Entry 18 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, June 15, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (6/16/2017 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Made the final cut as I whittled down the number of books migrating in the WILD THINGS bookbox!

Journal Entry 19 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Friday, June 23, 2017
Chose this book from erishkigal's WILD THINGs Bookbox 2017. Don't care for lobster...at least not to eat...I really don't, although I do enjoy watching them in the tanks at the market. I do love nature, science, ecology, and fishing...even though I've not been fishing in years, and I have always wondered how crustaceans like lobsters exist in the depths of the oceans of the world. I am not familiar with this author, and am looking forward to reading this. THANK YOU for including me in your Bookbox, erishkigal!!! ; )