A Confederacy of Dunces

by John Kennedy Toole | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cat207 of Gladstone, Queensland Australia on 2/11/2008
Journal Entry 1 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, February 11, 2008
'A monument to sloth, rant and contempt, a behemoth of fat, flatulence and furious suspicion of anything modern - this is Ignatius J. Reilly of New Orleans, noble crusader against a world of dunces. In magnificent revolt against the twentieth century, Ignatius propels his monstrous bulk among the flesh-pots of a fallen city, filling his Big Chief tablets with invective, until his maroon-haired mother decrees that Ignatius must go to work.'

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 29, 2008
A '1001..." book going travelling.

Tubereader - UK

No special rules or conditions - just manners!

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 29, 2008
An amazing piece of slapstick. Not only do I know of people like Ignatius, I was married to one once - not an easy life!
I liked Jones best of all. What a po downtrodden color peoples, tryin a be gainfully employ insteada a vagran.

Journal Entry 4 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Off to Tubereader in today's mail.

Journal Entry 5 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Received this book last week along with 3 other that cat207 sent to me. Sorry I could not journal it until now as I have been travelling and did not take this book with me.

I look forward to reading it (although, as I am the only one in this ring, I might put it a bit lower in my TBR pile as I have other rings coming through that have more readers awaiting for them).

Thanks cat207 for sharing!!

UPDATE 1 JUNE 08: I still have not managed to get to this book, sorry cat 207, I will read it as soon as I can, but I have several other rings with me that have more people waiting to read them afterwards so I am prioritising those, but I have not forgotten this book!

UPDATE 26 JULY 08: I finally got round to starting this book. Thanks cat207 for your patience! I will post a review once I am done reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Sunday, August 03, 2008
WOW, this book was brilliant!

I really liked it and it is so wonderfully written. John Kennedy Toole's command of the English language is amazing. It took me a little to get into the story but the writing was so beautiful that I kept on reading. And then it suck me in!

It's one of the books on the 1001 list that I have enjoyed the most. Thanks so much to cat207 for sharing!

I have liked the book so much that I am going to offer it as a ring and then put it into a 1001 bookbox that I am planning to put together in a few months time.

Journal Entry 7 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Sunday, August 03, 2008
I very much liked this book so I am offering it as a ring for everyone to enjoy.

Also, given the sad story behind the publication of the book (it was the author's first book and, as he could not get anyone to publish it, he finally committed suicide. The book was only published thanks to the perseverance of John Kennedy Toole's mother), I thought it would be a nice tribute to the author to try to promote his work as much as possible.

Ring order (subject to change)
literarylover (US - US pref) ---- book is here!
judygreeneyes (US - posts int'l)
ChiBoiler (US - posts int'l)
house-elf (Canada - Canada / US pref)
darkpunkangel (Canada - anywhere)
Miss-Owl (Australia - pref Australia but will post anywhere)
afraberg (Netherlands)
nikel27 (Germany)
midlifecrisis (UK - UK/EU pref)
starflash (UK - UK/EU pref)
katrinat (UK - EU pref)
brunton11 (UK - UK/EU pref)
pinkydinky (UK - UK/EU pref)
jellyfish67 (UK - posts international - wants to be at the end)
...
...

last: back to me Tubereader

Rules
1. Please try to read the book within 1 month from receiving it (this is just in consideration for the participants coming after you in the ring)
2. I perfectly understand that sometimes it is not possible to comply with my first rule, if that is the case, please PM me and let me know (I just want to know that the ring is not stalled)
3. I would really like to hear your views on the book, so I would very much appreciate "proper" journal entries once you have finished reading it
4. In order to speed up the pace, it would be great if you could PM the next person in the line to ask for their address when you are half way through the book (or about a week before finishing it)
5. Surface mail posting is perfectly fine!
6. Enjoy the book and happy reading!!

Journal Entry 8 by Tubereader at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 11, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (8/11/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book posted by sea mail to literarylover in the US to start the ring.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 9 by literarylover from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, September 22, 2008
I just received the book. Thank you so much for sending!

Journal Entry 10 by lostbookisland on Friday, March 05, 2010
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.