Sickened

by Julie Gregory | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by seldombites of Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on 2/8/2008
Journal Entry 1 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 08, 2008

Synopsis

A young girl is perched on the cold chrome of yet another doctor's examining table, missing yet another day of school. Just 12 years old, she's tall, skinny and weak. It's 4pm and she hasn't been allowed to eat anything all day. Her mother, on the other hand, seems curiously excited. She's about to suggest open heart surgery on her child to 'get to the bottom of this'. She checks her teeth for lipstick and, as the doctor enters, shoots the girl a warning glance. This child will not ruin her plans.

From early childhood, Julie Gregory was continually x-rayed, medicated and operated on - in the vain pursuit of an illness that was created in her mother's mind. Munchhausen by proxy (MBP) is the world's most mysterious and dangerous form of child abuse, in which the caretaker - almost always the mother - invents or induces symptoms in her child because she craves the attention of medical professionals. Many such children die. Julie Gregory not only survived, she escaped the powerful orbit of her mother's madness and rebuilt her identity as a vibrant, healthy young woman.

Laced with fierce humour, this powerful and haunting memoir recreates the bizarre cocoon of her family's isolated trailer, their wild shopping sprees and gun-waving confrontations, and the astonishing naivete of medical professionals and social workers. It also exposes the twisted bonds of terror and love that roped Julie's family together - including the love that made a child willing to sacrifice herself to win her mother's happiness.

The realisation that the sickness lay in her mother, not in herself, would not come to Julie until adulthood. Through her painful metamorphosis, she discovered the courage to save her own life - and, ultimately, the life of the girl her mother had found to replace her.

Reserved for challenges

Journal Entry 2 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, March 28, 2008
The life this poor girl led was sad and tragic. No child should have to go through what she and others have. It is a testimony to her strength that she managed to get through it and come out the other end. The writing style in this memoir is average but the story more than makes up for it.

Released 11 yrs ago (3/27/2008 UTC) at Hitcher in Aussie Post, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

G’day,

Welcome to BookCrossing! What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild like I did. I know it may seem a little odd to find this lying around--it's my way of touching the lives of others in a positive way and sharing my love of books.

This book started it’s journey in Rockhampton, Qld, Australia and I would like to thank you for letting us know it is still safe and sound. All over the world people are following their book’s travels through BookCrossing & by graciously visiting this site and making an entry you are helping keep this book’s unique travelling history up-to-date.

If you choose to read this book, it would be really great if you could come back and let us know what you thought – as confirmed bookaholics, we love to compare notes! Don’t worry - you can remain anonymous if you wish.

While you don’t have to register or join, I hope you will consider doing so. It’s free, it’s confidential (you are only known by your screen-name), and it’s highly addictive! If you do decide to join, please list myself (fairy-whispers) or any previous reader of this book as your referring member.

For more information about BookCrossing, check out the FAQs on the homepage. For more information about me (fairy-whispers) or any other reader of this book, just click on that person’s screen-name above.

Have a great day and may you always have a good book to read!

Ultimate Challenge 2008 - Non-Fiction

Journal Entry 4 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, April 07, 2008
Received with another book via the VBBOz. Am not sure how keen I am to read this one, but I'll put it to good use somehow!!

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 10, 2008
Picked up at the meetup with the Perth bookcrossers. Great to meet you, KLL!

Looks like it'll make great aeroplane reading.

v

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 24, 2008
An incredibly scary autobiography of a life dominated by a mother with Munchhausen's by Proxy. It's horrible to think that any child would have to go through such abuse, and even worse to imagine how many more cases there may be out there undetected.

^

Journal Entry 7 by futurecat at Arlington, Texas USA on Friday, May 02, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/1/2008 UTC) at Arlington, Texas USA

Given to one of the Texas bookcrossers we met last night.

v

Journal Entry 8 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Friday, May 02, 2008
I have recently heard about MBP syndrome, so am curious to read this book. Snagged it last night at a meetup here in Dallas with our fellow Kiwi Bookcrossers.

Thanks FutureCat --> so glad to meet you! Happy travels and hope to see you at the BC Christchurch convention in 2009!

Journal Entry 9 by BethanieKay from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 14, 2008
I thought this was a fascinating book, I breezed through it in just 2 days of travel on airplanes on my way from the US to Greece. It was scary and profound and interesting... wow, how utterly sad that this syndrome exists.

I passed this book along to another BCer who lives in Athens.

Journal Entry 10 by kermit60 at Ethnique Cafe (Kydonion 17 Str.) in Nea Smirni, Attica Greece on Sunday, June 01, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/31/2008 UTC) at Ethnique Cafe (Kydonion 17 Str.) in Nea Smirni, Attica Greece

The beautiful book goes to Ethnique Cafe - Bar in Greece in Nea Smyrni a city near Athens !
Ethnique is bc zone!