The Swedish Cavalier

by Leo Perutz | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LettersCafe of Ithaca, New York USA on 2/14/2008
Journal Entry 1 by LettersCafe from Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, February 14, 2008
Donated by Ithaca books when they went out of business.

From Publishers Weekly
Written in the style of an 18th-century adventure, Perutz's leisurely tale of switched identities and reversals of fortune concerns a nameless thief fleeing the gallows who crosses paths in 1701 with a noble-born deserter from the Swedish army. The brazen thief betrays the nobleman, Christian von Tornefeld, by assuming his identity while on an errand, then taking over his cousin's manorial estate in Silesia and marrying his young, adoring fiancee Maria, who believes that the imposter is von Tornefeld. Meanwhile, Christian takes the thief's promised job, enduring nine hellish years as a foundry worker. Moments of high drama and broad comedy enliven the tale, which takes a number of twists before the two men meet on the road years later to exchange identities once again, a move that proves fatal for both. Prague-born novelist Perutz (
Little Apple), who fled the Nazis to Palestine and died in 1957, weaves together themes of identity, justice, and fate. Brownjohn's deft translation captures a rough-and-tumble milieu saturated with superstitions, spells and folk customs.

Translated from the German by John Brownjohn; Copyright date: 1936.

Journal Entry 2 by Vasha from Ithaca, New York USA on Sunday, September 13, 2009
OBCZ closed; the books are at home now.

Journal Entry 3 by Vasha at Ithaca, New York USA on Sunday, September 19, 2010
A breathlessly entertaining historical novel, with uncanny moments and a melancholy (but beautiful) end. It's true that I could tell from the beginning what the entire plot was going to be, but that's not a bad thing, it's just that all the pieces fit together so that they're inevitable. The ingredients, from the switched identities to the otherworldly encounters, are old-fashioned in the best way; it's like hearing a good old song in a lovely new arrangement. The main character, the nameless thief, kept my sympathy all the way to the end.

Journal Entry 4 by Vasha at Ithaca, New York USA on Monday, September 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/27/2010 UTC) at Ithaca, New York USA

For a bookray.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Book has arrived safely, thanks!!
I'm a bit behind in my reading now but hopefully can do some catch up with the Read-a-thon this Saturday.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, November 19, 2010
Sorry I didn't get to journal when I finished reading the book. I like the story, it's very foreign in the writing style and the story. I agree the ending is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing the book.

I'm waiting for the next reader to send me her address. I sent another pm today. My pm wasn't working well about a month or so ago and I would get ISO from people who said they couldn't contact me, or readers telling me they have sent me a reply which I never got. I thought it is fixed by now, I did get Vasha's pm.

Anyway, I am copying the shipping order here from the forum post, so it's easier to see who's next:

1. azuki
2. bookowl1000
3. sarabe1
4. benschu
5. okyrhoe

ETA: 11/22 - I received bookowl's address. It has been a few busy days so I couldn't get to the post office before it closes. I will get it out by Friday the latest. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 7 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, December 05, 2010
The book arrived sometime last week while i was working away from home. Thanks very much.

Journal Entry 8 by bookowl1000 at Chepstow, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, December 10, 2010
At first I thought that this story lacked depth in its story and characters, but once I accepted it as a parable (and it is described as such) it became much more enjoyable. A parables is a succinct story that avoids distractions, so I did find myself wishing it was longer. An enjoyable fairy tale for adults.

I have received the address of the next person so it will be in the post to Sweden today.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 9 by sarabe1 at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, December 25, 2010
Thank you!

As soon as I have the next persons address,
I will mail it on.

Journal Entry 10 by sarabe1 at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 21, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (2/25/2011 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Germany!