Harlequin Valentine

by Neil Gaiman, John Bolton | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 156971620x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingTuttasbwing of Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on 2/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 05, 2008
In this modern hardcover retelling of a classic commedia dell' arte legend of tomfoolery and hopeless, fawning love, creators Neil Gaiman (Sandman) and John Bolton (Manbat) update the relation of Harlequin and Columbine. A buffoon burdened with a brimming heart, Harlequin chases his sensible, oblivious Columbine around the city streets, having given his heart freely. Consumed with love, the impulsive clown sees his heart dragged about town, with a charming surprise to bend the tale in a modern direction. Gaiman's writing is poetic and as heartfelt as the subject matter. Bolton's art, a combination of digitally enhanced photorealism and dynamic painting provides sensational depth with bright characters over fittingly muted backgrounds. Those who have spent Valentine's Day alone are aware that the cold February holiday can be hard to swallow. Gaiman and Bolton want you to know that all it takes is a steak knife, a fork, and a bottle of quality ketchup!

Journal Entry 2 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Have not made up my mind yet of what I think of this book. I love that it is a modernization of the classic story. I love the photorealism in the pictures, it makes the story more real and the pictures so alive. But this was not the best graphic novel I've read, and the plot was a bit to surreal for my taste. Hmm, I did like this book....and I didn't.... I'm confused!

Journal Entry 3 by wingTuttasbwing at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/10/2008 UTC) at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway

Happy Valentine!

Journal Entry 4 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008
Grabbed this from Tuttasb at the BC-meetup today. Gaiman, yay!

Journal Entry 5 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008
A rather beautiful book. Bolton’s illustrations are magnificent and the story is concurrently charming and haunting, just as Commedia dell’arte should be. I will have to keep this copy for a while and enjoy it again before sending it on its way (and also, probably, put it on the wishlist).

Journal Entry 6 by Sutekh from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, May 23, 2008
Short, quirky, typically Gaiman. A charming story that puts a twist on the Commedia dell' arte. Well-written, and exquisitely drawn.

CAUGHT IN TRONDHEIM SØR-TRØNDELAG NORWAY