Holding Wonder

by Zenna Henderson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/3/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, February 03, 2008
I've adored Henderson's stories ever since I first encountered them in the late '60s; my copies of Holding Wonder and The Anything Box have been among my prized "keeper" books ever since. I've also been lucky enough to find a few extra copies of these long-out-of-print paperbacks to register and release, and when I came across another copy of this one for a mere 50 cents at the local library book-sale I had to nab it; it's a fair-condition '73 paperback, slightly battered but still holding together well.

Henderson is best known for her stories of The People, gentle extraterrestrials with a variety of psychic gifts. This collection includes a tale or two featuring The People, but most of the stories center on other things - some are beautiful, and some are utterly dark. "The Taste of Aunt Sophronia" is hard to summarize without simply telling it, but it's a tale of plague and loss, hope and survival; "The Believing Child" is a simple fable about what happens when a child believes so strongly that she can alter reality; "As Simple As That" deals with life after the apocalypse (a common theme for Henderson), as seen by a schoolteacher and her charges... Henderson can make the simplest, most innocent scenes turn horrifying, and can find sweetness in the darkest places. Strongly recommended!

For more of Henderson's stories, see "The Anything Box".

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 07, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/7/2009 UTC) at Panera Bread, 299 Harvard St. in Brookline, Massachusetts USA

I plan to release this and other books at the Panera in Brookline at 2 p.m.

Hope whoever finds the book enjoys it!

Later: Left the book propped up on the window ledge in front of Panera.