Innocent traitor

by Alison Weir | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 1/31/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, January 31, 2008
The first novel by this acclaimed history writer, a fictionalized account of the life and times of Lady Jane Grey. Our Ipswich Splinter group book choice...what, you thought this was my usual reading matter!

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 09, 2008
(8/03) First things first, this is not a book that I would ever have picked up...but I suppose that’s what book groups are for; trying different genre, being a bit more adventurous? Generally speaking I was quite impressed, the accomplished historian Alison Weir has written a gripping novel about the life and times of Lady Jane Grey, briefly Queen Jane, between the death of her cousin the sickly Edward VI and great aunt ‘Bloody’ Mary. As you would expect the Tudor politics and intrigue, the religious hand-wringing, the casual disregard for human life, the cod-pieces(!) and costumes all feature quite heavily; but just because they’ve become stereotypes doesn’t make them wrong!?

The other part of the book that I enjoyed were the snippets of history in and around London, such as Somerset House, Caxton’s print works, the royal residences on the Thames (and barge travel in between) and some fascinating Tudor words such as chopine, megrim, chap-books, posset, comptroller...sad I know! Other examples;

The derivation of Charing Cross, from the cross at ‘chere reine’, in memory of King Edward’s beloved Queen Eleanor.

The derivation of ‘whipping boy’, literally someone else being whipped to punish, but not harm, a VIP.

The nickname for the hate figure Anne Boleyn, ‘Nan Bullen’.

I least liked some of the contrived scenes in which the young Jane gets involved in court, such as accidentally finding Katherine Parr’s arrest warrant. Weir partially apologies for this in her notes, done in the interests of the story-telling. So in the end I quite enjoyed this Tudor romp, but probably won’t be dipping into this sort of historical fiction, or fictionalised history, again :-)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at Seckford Hall in Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, April 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/12/2008 UTC) at Seckford Hall in Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom

Lovely location...appropriate release site for someone who likes all things Tudor.

If you find this book, welcome to bookcrossing, thank you for writing a journal entry here :)