It's a Long Way from Penny Apples

by Bill Cullen | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by BookCrosser of Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on 1/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookCrosser from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, January 28, 2008
Synopsis:
Born and bred in the tough inner city slums of Summerhill in Dublin, Bill Cullen was one of fourteen children. A street seller from the age of six, Bill left school at thirteen to make a living. Dublin in the '40s and '50s was a harsh place, rife with unemployment and poverty, but the Cullens were blessed with the qualities of determination, good humour and an abundance of love. The lessons Bill learnt from his grandmother stood him in good stead as he progressed from selling dolls and cinema tickets on street corners to a job in a Ford card dealership and eventually to head a company with a turnover of more than GBP250 million. The Bill Cullen story is an account of incredible poverty and deprivation in the Dublin slums. It highlights the frustration of a father and mother feeling their relationship crumble as they fight to give their children a better life.

Journal Entry 2 by BookCrosser at Voormalige OBCZ 't Blauw Boerke in Best, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/11/2009 UTC) at Voormalige OBCZ 't Blauw Boerke in Best, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Journal Entry 3 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 11, 2009
Took this one with me from Best and I'll probably read it quite soon.

I enjoyed the first half of the book much more then the second half. In the beginning I'm impressed with how Mary Darcy takes care of her family and how Liam gets along. But after a while the story get's a bit same-ish. I like to read about how Liam learns important lessons and how he learns his values. But in the end it seems like it is only about what sort of deals he makes and that is a bit boring.

Journal Entry 4 by marsala at De waargebeurde boekendoos, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/14/2009 UTC) at De waargebeurde boekendoos, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This book will travel on in a true storie bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 21, 2010
Looks interesting!

Journal Entry 6 by Plinius at BC Meeting 2012 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, June 29, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/1/2012 UTC) at BC Meeting 2012 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Hello finder! If you read this, you have found a travelling book.
Congratulations!

You can read this book, make a note of how you liked the book (it's free
and you can stay anonymous if you like) and release it 'in the wild' or
pass it on to someone else.

If you want to follow the book on its 'world tour' you'd better register as
a new bookcrosser. You could mention my name (Plinius) as Referring Member. I
would appreciate that very much.

There's an explanation in Dutch at http://www.bookcrossing.nl/ and there's
also a Dutch forum http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/15

Have fun reading and bookcrossing!

Plinius

Hallo boekvinder,

als je dit leest heb je een zwerfboek gevonden, gefeliciteerd!

Je kunt dit boek lezen, hopelijk is het iets dat je leuk vindt, je kunt je mening erover hier opschrijven (gratis, spamvrij, en je kunt anoniem blijven als je wilt) en het weer doorgeven of loslaten 'in het wild' voor een volgende lezer.

Als je net als ik het boek wilt volgen op zijn wereldreis kun je ook bookcrosser worden. In dat geval zou je mijn naam (Plinius) kunnen vermelden als Referring Member. Dat zou ik leuk vinden.

Nederlandse uitleg vind je op http://www.bookcrossing.nl/ en er is ook een Nederlands forum op http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/15

Veel lees- en BookCrossplezier gewenst!

Plinius

Journal Entry 7 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, July 03, 2012
I love Irish slums/history/true fictional books. If they're written well, that is. Kelman disappointed me there before. But this one looks genuine :)
Ik kon het dan toch ook niet laten. Als ik zie in welk illuster lezersgezelschap ik mij bevindt door die intuïtieve grabbelkeuze (ik hoorde nog niet van deze auteur, of het boek) , dan heb ik vast de juiste gemaakt.

Journal Entry 8 by bloedengel at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (11/6/2012 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Happy celtic samhain exchange. I'm sorry for being late. The card 'll explain everything.
Love.
V

Journal Entry 9 by LaPitchoune at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 13, 2012
This book came by mail as a Samhain surprise. Thank you Bloedengel! I don't have that many Irish books (only some James Joyce), so this brings in some nice variation.