Siddhartha

by Herman Hesse | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0553208845 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jennannej of Coronado, California USA on 1/27/2008
Journal Entry 1 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Sunday, January 27, 2008
This book was given to me in Juneau Alaska as one of my kayak guiding co-workers/roommates left on a jet plane back to the lower 48. She had spent most of the year up near Fairbanks, working with Americorps. Not sure where she procured this novel, but it's in pretty rough shape. Binding is good, but the covers are missing! I'll see what I can do to remedy that.

As I started the novel, I was quite enjoying it, as Siddhartha was searching for the meaning of life. I believe this to be an important question. Unfortunately, the end, everything being connected and everything is just one big universe (or something) didn't really ring true with me. Quite lyrical.

Journal Entry 2 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Sunday, February 03, 2008
LOST!!!
I am sad to report that this bookray is now lost. I contacted both the previous and the next person on the list and neither seems to have it. Sad day. :(
Artistic Bookring or ray! Here's a tentative list (subject to change).

Lorelei03 (NY, USA)
Therubycanary (Southeast USA)
Tqd (Sydney, Australia)asked to be skipped
cat207 (Newcastle, Australia)
KLL (Perth, Australia
CaterinaAnna (UK)
1000petal (UK) )<----It's here!
Vekiki (UK)
GateGypsy (Yukon, Canada)
mrbaggins1 (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Feel free to do whatever you'd like to the book to adorn and bedazzle, as long as the book remains readable for the future readers. Add to the cover, illustrate the margins, whatever. Try to finish up in less than a month, so that we can keep this moving along.

If you can, take a picture of your creation and add it to the journal entry so we who have already had it can see your skills! ;)

Was mailed on 2/7/08

Journal Entry 3 by Lorelei03 from Flushing, New York USA on Monday, February 11, 2008
rcvd this book with its little mini-journal and will begin as soon as I finish current book - thanks jennanej!

Journal Entry 4 by therubycanary from Sebago, Maine USA on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Received today - bookcrossing as it should be, a cleverly repaired book, goodies, and fun stuff all in one.

Journal Entry 5 by therubycanary from Sebago, Maine USA on Thursday, May 08, 2008
I'm glad to re-read this. I read in on a plane on my way to Nepal and wasn't concentrating very much on it. Although I wouldn't call it one of my favorite books on Buddhism, I am enjoying the story.

I had e-mailed for Tqd's address a while back, but don't think I got it. I'll check back through my e-mail and then pm them again.

Journal Entry 6 by therubycanary from Sebago, Maine USA on Thursday, May 08, 2008
Oh right, I forgot that Tqd asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 7 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, May 22, 2008
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you therubycanary and jennannej for sharing. X

Journal Entry 8 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Not exactly riveting stuff, but a quick read.

Will send on to KLL as soon as I confirm the address.

Journal Entry 9 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, May 30, 2008
To KLL in today's mail.

Journal Entry 10 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, June 13, 2008
I receive this earlier in the week and have been very lax in journalling! Love the cover, which is part of the reason why I joined this book ring. I'll try to add to it before I send on, but first I need to read it!

Thanks to cat207 for sending it along and jennannej for organising ;-)

Journal Entry 11 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, September 28, 2008
Double apologies for taking so long to get to this book because it really is a quick read! However, I had other books I needed to read first and I didn't feel I could let any jump queue. I had no idea what this book was about going in, other than it was on the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die List. I found it to be a short and poetic story (allegory), though not particularly life changing for me. I did like some of Siddhartha's final realisations, however - that the river is every where at once, all ways the same but always different and the idea that enlightenment comes from experience, rather than just teaching.

I haven't yet adorned the book in any way, but I'll PM CaterinaAnna now for her address and hopefully post some pictures before I send it on.

THanks again jennannej!!

Journal Entry 12 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
This is now in the post to CaterinaAnna. Before I packed it up, I took to the title page with some coloured pencils and am quite pleased with the results! With any luck, I'll be uploading a photo to this journal entry once I've finished writing it (haven't done this before so will have to see how I go!!)

(EDIT: It worked - and I added a pic to my previous entry too :-)

Journal Entry 13 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, October 04, 2008
And very colourful it is too! Thank you KLL.

This has just popped through the door and, as I was already logged into BC, this must be one of the shortest times between postman's hands and acknowledgement of receipt in the history of my shelf!

As a book with another reader already lined up, it skips straight to the top of Mount Toobie, even if I don't get round to amending my shelf in this session.

Journal Entry 14 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2008
And it didn't take this long to read: I've been awaiting inspiration to add to the book, but am finally giving up. I shall paste in a photo before I send it off, with the river always and everywhere in the background.

I think I enjoyed this, but suspect it needs re-reading for a skimmer like me to 'get' properly. The writing flowed and, once I got used to the characters' habits of talking of themselves in the third person, so did the tale. It was more an enjoying the experience of reading than a leaving something behind book for me ... you know, like the calorie-free ice-cream we all wish existed. I will therefore keep my eyes peeled for another copy to re-read at some point in the future, on that distant day when Mount Toobie is under control and my JEs are up-to-date.

Thank you for sharing jenneannej and all who have got this thus far. I shall now go and PM 1000petal for an address to get it on its way.

Journal Entry 15 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, October 25, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/23/2008 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Finally in the post!

Journal Entry 16 by 1000petal from Chaguanas, Trinidad Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
What a great idea. I'm so happy to be a part of this book's story. Will try and get done with this within the month of November.

Journal Entry 17 by 1000petal at on Saturday, January 10, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/9/2009 UTC) at

Sorry I took so long with this. But it's on its way now.