The Child in Time

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingardachywing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 1/26/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 26, 2008
Purchased from WH Smith in Braintree, Essex

Journal Entry 2 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, February 02, 2008
More difficult than the other Ian McEwan books I have read a not in the same class in my view. Still well worth reading though.

Journal Entry 3 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Offered to the 1001-Library.

Journal Entry 4 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thanks so much for your donation Ardachy!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 5 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Requested by Bestfriends so now on the way to Belgium.

Journal Entry 6 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, April 18, 2008
In my mailbox today! Thanks for donating and sending this book, Ardachy.

I either like or dislike McEwan's writings. Looking forward to find out what it will be this time. Will come back here when done (I have at least one ringbook ahead of it).

Journal Entry 7 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, April 26, 2008
Maybe "to either like or dislike" was not the right expression. It's true that McEwan writes beautifully and he certainly is a great author; it's more that so far I just can't appreciate all of his novels. For instance: I was very impressed by "Enduring Love", but could not understand the hype "Atonement" caused and had my doubts about "on Chesil Beach" as well.

As to "The Child in Time":
When I had just finished reading, I could not make up my mind. I had to give it some time to sink in. Part of it is absolutely beautiful, thrilling, touching and well written. However, I myself did not care too much about the sub plots (the Committee, the PM, the former editor and friend Charles etc.) After having reread parts of that, to fully understand their significance and how they were important for the main plot, I finally could wholeheartedly say that I enjoyed and liked this one by McEwan. Not an easy read though.

Now available again in the 1001-books library.
Please note: I'm not supposed to have any shipping preferences, but I do prefer EUROPE ONLY.

Journal Entry 8 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 27, 2008

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing bestfriends:)

Journal Entry 9 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Reserved for soffitta1. Will be sent soon.

Journal Entry 10 by bestfriends at -- controlled release --, Liège / Luik Belgium on Friday, April 17, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/17/2009 UTC) at -- controlled release --, Liège / Luik Belgium

By mail to soffitta1 in Portugal. Enjoy!

KTMC # 7

Journal Entry 11 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, April 20, 2009
Thanks for posting this, looking forward to reading it.

I enjoyed this book, as ever with McEwan I don't know if enjoy is the right word. A father takes his daughter to the supermarket, where she is snatched, this book follows his journey after trying to come to terms with it.

Back to the Library.

Journal Entry 12 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, June 10, 2009

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing soffitta1:)

Journal Entry 13 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, June 14, 2009
To be sent to Caroley.

Sent 7/7 - sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 14 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, July 17, 2009
Got it! Thanks for sending it Soffitta1. I'm looking forward to reading it :-)

Journal Entry 15 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 01, 2009
I loved every page of this book. McEwan is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.
The story started off with something that immediately grabbed your attention, which I've noticed his books often do. Then the story started weaving its magic with different threads wandering off here and there and then coming back together. I really did enjoy it.

Thanks so much for passing it on to me Soffitta1. I'll now return it to the library in the hope that someone else will claim it and enjoy it just as much as I did.

Journal Entry 16 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Caroley:)

Journal Entry 17 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 11, 2013
Posting to PI-DE in Germany. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 18 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted

Journal Entry 19 by PI-DE at Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Friday, June 14, 2013
thanks, great book !

Journal Entry 20 by JoshuaFlint at Moab, Utah USA on Monday, June 24, 2013
Now in the USA

Journal Entry 21 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 11, 2013
I received this book as a BookMooch and was surprised that it was also registered on this site. I look forward to reading it, just not sure when.

Journal Entry 22 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 17, 2020
Firstly I should apologise for allowing this to linger on my MTBR for some seven years. There is no real excuse other than the fact that I never seemed to get around to it.

"Only when you are grown up, perhaps only when you have children yourself, do you fully understand that your parents had a full and intricate existence before you were born."

The absurd Committee meetings and Stephen's encounters with the Prime Minister add a little light relief to what is a largely depressing storyline. Throughout the book there are a series of set piece elements mainly centred around loss, some of which worked whereas some were less effective IMHO. I have read several of McEwan's books in the past and been generally disappointed with them but this one despite its rather depressing subject matter I found compulsive reading and hard to put down.

Journal Entry 23 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/21/2020 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Reading it /Want it thread. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 26, 2020
Received from 4evagreen and just taken out of quarantine. This book was given in the Reading it, Want it? thread along with another bonus book. Thanks very much-will look forward to reading them both.

Journal Entry 25 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, December 04, 2020
REVIEW:-"I persevered with this book for a while but didn't really get into it so have given up with it now. While I liked the way in which the author described the loss of his tiny daughter and the devastating effect it had on his relationship with his wife I found all the politics and business meetings rather tedious. I may skim a bit to the end to try and find out what happened to the child but I fear I may never know. This was a disappointment to me as I have enjoyed other novels by this author".