Joan the Mysterious Life of the Heretic Who Became a Saint

by Donald Spoto | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 1/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Friday, January 25, 2008
Dear Reader,

Donald Spoto, better known for biographies of filmstars, has taken on the subject of one of my favorite saints, Joan of Arc. I couldn't resist this recent book, already in remainder.

Editorial Review - Reed Business Information (c) 2006
According to biographer and theologian Spoto, Joan of Arc is a girl for the 21st century. She asserted and fought for the ideal that nations shouldn't invade and occupy others for the sake of empire building, a message to contemplate in today's political landscape. But it's unfair to read our contemporary concerns back into her 15th-century story, says Spoto. In this engaging and at times gripping biography, he examines Joan's life and particularly her faith in the face of a church threatened by her visions. Spoto details what is known or surmised about Joan's early life and military career, but the book's most fascinating aspect is the suspenseful day-by-day account of her year-long trial and conviction for heresy. Here we see the Maid's (as she called herself) sense of God's instructions for her life, and her efforts to obey God above all else, including earthly church authority. Spoto helps us understand her threat to political and ecclesiastical figures. The only person to have been condemned for heresy and later sainted, Joan of Arc continues to capture the popular imagination and is, Spoto argues, "the sign that God is free to act as He wills to act, not as we presume He ought to act." (Feb. 20)

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Monday, June 20, 2011
Sadly, I haven't found the time for this. I know it would be a great, easy summer read, but there are so many books I need to get to. So this will be donated to St. Vincent de Paul. I hope it will earn just a bit of money for Atlanta's needy.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Chamblee, Georgia USA on Monday, June 20, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (6/20/2011 UTC) at Chamblee, Georgia USA

This goes out for Atlanta's needy with a few more books, clothes, etc. Thanks to all of the workers and volunteers who do their best to offer assistance.