The Little Country

by Charles De Lint | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Tiamat-muc of München, Bayern Germany on 1/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Friday, January 25, 2008
When Janey Little first comes across a book called "The Little Country" she is unaware of the danger it will lead her into. The book's meaning differs with everyone who reads it and Janey is swiftly drawn into a web of darkness. By the author of "Yarrow" and "Greenmantle".

-----

When Jane Little returns to her grandfather's home in Cornwall she discovers The Little Country; an unknown manuscript by her grandfather's closest friend Bill Dunthorn.
It draws her into a world of darkness and dread, of magic and marvel. Into The Little Country.
But as the book's own fairy tale unfolds so the strangeness begins to seep across the borders, into Janey's mundane world...

Journal Entry 2 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Sunday, August 23, 2009
A book of the Bergabbau-Challenge - month august: there has to be a place in the title (like "country")

It is a fairy tale in a book in a book, and in this book there is also a real story becoming a fairy tale as well - but in the end there is no fairy tale at all...

It was a wonderful read. 9 out of 10 stars, because the first 50-100 pages weren't that enthralling - but once you are beyond them, the residual 500 are so great, you'd like to never stop reading (c:

Journal Entry 3 by Tiamat-muc from München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The little country will travel as a ring with these participants

1. Cassiopeia22
11. emac52 (Europe)
12. Qantaqa (again)
13. sternenwolf (Europe)(again)
back home

Journal Entry 4 by Cassiopeia22 from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Saturday, September 12, 2009
The book arrived yesterday, thank you! Right on time, bescause I was almost without anything to read here with my parents.

Journal Entry 5 by Cassiopeia22 from Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Monday, December 07, 2009
Finally this book is going to travel on. I didn´t get to finish it. Sorry, that I kept it so long anyway. I liked the story, but I couldn´t get into the flow of the book. Also I liked Jodie´s story more than Janey´s, but there just was just too much about Janey.
I already have the adress of mafirrimond and will send the book on tomorrow. Quatanga and sternenwolf wanted to be skipped.
Thank you for letting me participate in this ring.

Journal Entry 6 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, December 17, 2009
Book arrived safely today. It will be probably be after Christmas before I finish it.

Journal Entry 7 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, January 03, 2010
A charming book. A story within a story and I loved them both.

Journal Entry 8 by mafarrimond at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

Posting on to Maryzee. Hope you enjoy it as I did.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, January 22, 2010
Arrived safely in Maryland today. This book will be here a few weeks - 2 bookrings came in earlier this week (Cake Wrecks is finished already, mostly pictures, and I'm 75 pp. into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close), and I'm midway on a 1100+ pp. tome (Rutherfurd's London). But as soon as I finish my carrying-around book (ELaIC), this will be started next. If it looks as though I might run over a month, I will be sure to let you all know. And I'll update here when I get started on the book - hopefully no more than a couple of weeks. (I'm juggling/reading as fast as I can ;-)

2/14 update - Just starting on this one now. Sorry it's taken me a bit to get to it. I decided against reading this while I was working on London, since I didn't want to work on 2 long books at the same time. But I've just finished London, so I'll now be reading The Little Country as my only book. Shouldn't take much over 10 days or so. Hope to have this finished before the end of February, and I've just pm'd LadyofUnicorns to check her addy.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 27, 2010
Just finished the book earlier today, and I enjoyed it very much. I've never read anything by DeLint before; I'll be looking for his books in the future.

I do agree that this book is one you must work at a bit to get into the flow of the story. I think these books-within-a-book are a bit difficult like that - it's harder to get into the flow of the story when they keep switching back and forth. But I do so admire the skill of an author who can craft this style of story well, and I do think this one was well done. Also interesting that so much of this fantasy story was based in the real word: Cornwall, music and some unusual instruments, the Men-an-tol (yes, it's real).

Here's a bit from the story that really spoke to me (p. 400) - "'Every book tells a different story to the person who reads it,' Goninan explained. 'How they perceived that book will depend on who they are. A good book reflects the reader, as much as it illuminates the author's text.'"
So true in our world, although taken much more literally in this story.

Thanks for sharing this marvelous book, Tiamat-muc. Still trying to reach the next reader, LadyofUnicorns.

Journal Entry 11 by wingmaryzeewing at Santa Fe, New Mexico -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/2/2010 UTC) at Santa Fe, New Mexico -- Controlled Releases

On its way to LadyofUnicorns now.

Journal Entry 12 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Monday, March 08, 2010
Received this in the mail and am adding it to my tbr pile (I have a couple of books before this one). As soon as I have read it, I will make another entry.