Sputnik Sweetheart

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingTuttasbwing of Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on 1/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Bought at The Salvation Army Thrift Store.

Journal Entry 2 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, February 01, 2008
Publishers Weekly
Murakami's seventh novel to be translated into English is a short, enigmatic chronicle of unrequited desire involving three acquaintances the narrator, a 24-year-old Tokyo schoolteacher; his friend Sumire, an erratic, dreamy writer who idolizes Jack Kerouac; and Miu, a beautiful married businesswoman with a secret in her past so harrowing it has turned her hair snowy white. When Sumire abandons her writing for life as an assistant to Miu and later disappears while the two are vacationing on a Greek island, the narrator/teacher travels across the world to help find her. Once on the island, he discovers Sumire has written two stories: one explaining the extent of her longing for Miu; the second revealing the secret from Miu's past that bleached her hair and prevents her from getting close to anyone. All of the characters suffer from bouts of existential despair, and in the end, back in Tokyo, having lost both of his potential saviors and deciding to end a loveless affair with a student's mother, the narrator laments his loneliness. Though the story is almost stark in its simplicity more like Murakami's romantic Norwegian Wood than his surreal Wind-Up Bird Chronicles the careful intimacy of the protagonists' conversation and their tightly controlled passion for each other make this slim book worthwhile. Like a Zen koan, Murakami's tale of the search for human connection asks only questions, offers no answers and must be meditated upon to provide meaning. Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTuttasbwing from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, February 01, 2008
Wow, this is the first book I've read written by Haruki Murakami and I'm in love. I love the language, I love the story, I didn't want to put the book down when I'd started reading. This will not be the last book I read from Murakami.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTuttasbwing at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/10/2008 UTC) at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway

I was planning a bookray for this book. Instead I decided to take it with me to a BookCrossing-meetup today.

Happy Valentine! (Heart in the title)

Journal Entry 5 by notnot from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 10, 2008
This one looks very interesting. I like Murakami's writing very much!

The book will be delivered to mirthful when I finish it.

Journal Entry 6 by notnot from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Saturday, April 12, 2008
#78 of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die".

What a great story, and Murakami is a brilliant storyteller! He has got his own way with words, and I truly enjoy his way of writing. I'm really looking forward to the next of his books I have waiting in line.

Journal Entry 7 by notnot from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Saturday, April 12, 2008
To be handed over to mirthful at our meet-up in Trondheim in April.

Edit: Put in her mailbox April 29.

Journal Entry 8 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, June 06, 2008
Thanks, notnot and Tuttasb! I'm about halfway through it by now and am loving it so far. Seems my hunch about Murakami's novels being more to my taste than his short stories was accurate.

Journal Entry 9 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, June 15, 2008
A strange but wonderful story and the language... Well, it won't be the last Murakami on my reading list, that's for sure.

I thought I'd offer this to the 1001 books library.

Journal Entry 10 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thanks so much for your donation mirthful!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 11 by mirthful at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Wednesday, November 16, 2011
I've had two requests for this recently, but unfortunately it's been (temporarily, hopefully) lost in a recent move. Setting it to "reserved" while I search for it to avoid disappointing more people...