Three Treatises

by Martin Luther | Religion & Spirituality | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 1/22/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Rec'd via Paperbackswap.com.

Martin Luther posted his Ninety-five Theses on the church door at Wittenberg in 1517. In the three years that followed, Luther clarified and defended his position in numerous writings. Chief among these are the three treatises written in 1520. In these writings Luther tried to frame his ideas in terms that would be comprehensible not only to the clergy but to people from a wide range of backgrounds. To the Christian Nobility of the German Nation is an attack on the corruption of the church and the abuses of its authority, bringing to light many of the underlying reasons for the Reformation. The second treatise, The Babylonian Captivity of the Church, contains Luther's sharp criticism of the sacramental system of the Catholic church. The Freedom of a Christian gives a concise presentation of Luther's position on the doctrine of justification by faith. The translations of these treatises are all taken from the American edition of Luther's Works. This new edition of Three Treatises will continue to be a popular resource for individual study, church school classes, and college and seminary courses.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, February 20, 2008
On loan to Kaila at Lush.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Rec'd back from co-worker today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, August 28, 2017
Started reading yesterday afternoon.

I didn't have any particular purpose in picking up Luther's treatises, other than a general desire to return to regular Christian study, but it feels as though the book calls to battle. In this day and age, when the Christian right embraces a maverick like Trump as leader when every aspect of his life flies in the face of Christian moral teachings, Martin Luther's words call out:

Therefore, it is the duty of every Christian to espouse the cause of the Faith, to understand and defend it, and to denounce every error.

I feel compelled to read the read his words with special care, for we live in a time where Christianity's reputation is tattered in the eyes of many, and we cannot begin to repair the damage while its leadership continues to claw away at our banners, at the very fabric binding us together in community.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, October 15, 2017
Finished first of the three treatises today.
(I am not a fast Luther reader.)

Largely a criticism of the pope and the abuse of power over the people, which I can't help but want to apply to contemporary political issues. It's really interesting for putting Luther's ministry into context and understanding where some of his most famous teachings came from.