How to Know God

by deepak chopra | Religion & Spirituality |
Registered by keithpp of Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on 1/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by keithpp from Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2008
'God has managed the amazing feat of being worshipped and invisible at the same time.' -- Deepak Chopra

'I want to know how God thinks, everything else is detail.' -- Albert Einstein

'If you don't make yourself equal to God, you can't perceive God.' -- third century Christian heretic

Who or what is God?

If God is omniscient, all powerful, ever present, how is it we do not see God, can not see Him or touch Him?

God leaves no footprints in the material world.

Paulo Coelho says religion absolves us of our own personal responsibility for our spiritual quest. He talks of the Soul of the World, a collective consciousness which we can all be in contact with.

Jesus told us that his father's mansion has many rooms.

Fritjof Capra and Gary Zukov discussed the meeting of the spiritual and the physical in the undefined quantum state, a state of duality.

Niels Bohr, A Danish physicist, stated that that not only is quantum physics stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.

In the Gospel of Thomas we learn to be immortal.

Deepak Chopra talks of crossing the transition zone.

The transition zone is where we humans and God meet, or where Paulo Coelho would find the Soul of the World. It is where miracles take place, visions are seen, where we meet angels, where the voice of God is heard. A place where the rules of our Cartesian Universe no longer apply.

We personify God in many ways, an old man with a beard, but that is only because we cannot hope to know the unknowable, the infinite. All we can hope to do is describe with our limited language, the small part of God that penetrates crosses the transition zone into our world.

In How to Know God, Deepak Chopra tries to achieve the impossible, to discover the essence of God, not God as portrayed by any particular religion, but to go beyond the narrow confines of religion.

What is this unknowable infinite that all humans seem to need?

An old man is walking home, he can barely see, one eye was lost in the trenches, the other severely damaged by mustard gas, the sun is in his eyes, around the corner come two lads on bicycles, just at the inevitable point of collision, and angel appears, lifts the bicycle out of the way and sets it down with occupant at the side of the road. The old man walks on down the road and refuses to answer any questions.

Later, when he was dying, Pere Lamy Pascal, a priest, admitted to an angel coming to his rescue. Angels and divine intervention were an everyday part of his life.

Why is that some, like Pere Lamy Pascal, seem to be able to cross the transition zone with ease?

When Paulo Coelho walked the Road to Santiago, a medieval pilgrim's route, he learnt anyone could, not only the wise and the learned.

Strange things happen across the transition zone, and it is not just visits by angels, visions and miracles.

Deepak Chopra provides a lovely example of synchronicity involving a friend.

'A friend of mine once knew John Lennon very well and continued over the years to grieved his passing. She is a gifted singer, and one night recently had a dream in which he came to her and showed her an image from the past when they were together. Waking up, she decided to write a new, very intimate song based on her dream, yet in the cold light of day she began to have doubts. I came to London for a visit and she told me about her indecision'

'“After all, it's only a dream, isn't it?” she said. “Maybe I'm foolish to make too much of it.”'

'At that moment her three-year-old ran into the room and plopped himself into a chair in the corner. He happened to land on the remote control for the television, which came on suddenly. On the screen, we amazingly, we saw a nostalgia showing John Lennon and my friend smiling at the camera, caught in the exact moment she had witnessed in her dream. She burst into tears and got her answer: She would write her song.'

What Paulo Coelho would call omens.

If we are to communicate across the transition zone, then we have to learn how to recognise omens and know how to interpret them correctly, know how to use the alphabet of the soul of the world.