Black Water (Contemporary Fiction, Plume)

by Joyce Carol Oates | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ChiBoiler of Chicago, Illinois USA on 1/13/2008
Journal Entry 1 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, January 13, 2008
The Brown Elephant strikes again!

1001 Book.

Journal Entry 2 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, February 25, 2008
Book was not as good as I thought it would be. I was really interested in reading this story, but I didn't care for the writing style.

Nice and short. Another one off of the 1001 list!

Released 11 yrs ago (3/23/2008 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

Releasing to a fellow bookcrosser on Easter

Journal Entry 4 by Gayle62 from Crown Point, Indiana USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008
tbr

Journal Entry 5 by Gayle62 from Crown Point, Indiana USA on Saturday, August 02, 2008
Interestingly written. Obviously about Ted Kennedy. He will take that guilt to his grave - if he ever felt any guilt in the first place.

Journal Entry 6 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, August 16, 2008
TBR

Journal Entry 7 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, September 20, 2008
I liked the story but the writing style isn't my cup of tea. Another book off the 1001 list!

Journal Entry 8 by angela861 at Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, September 20, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/20/2008 UTC) at Chicago, Illinois USA

Off to ChiBoiler...

Journal Entry 9 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
This book is back in my possession and I am going to offer it up as a ray.

Participants (order may change):

1. davemurray101 (AUS - int'l)
2. nikel27 (GER - int'l)
3. Caroley (UK)
4. Alectoness (UK)
5. arutrogrande (UK - int'l)
6. WigglyWoods (UK - int'l)
7. iliotropio (Belgium - int'l)
8. christina82 (Denmark - int'l)
9. chambejd (US - US only)
10. sunfi (US - int'l)

Journal Entry 10 by ChiBoiler at Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/1/2008 UTC) at Chicago, Illinois USA

This book is on its way to Austalia to begin its journey!

Journal Entry 11 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 27, 2008
Just recieved the book in the mail today. thanks chiboiler.. look forward to reading it.
29/10 a bit mixed this book. Great in some ways not so good in others. At times the unusual method of narrative served to irritate rather than intrigue.

Journal Entry 12 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/29/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Released in the mail this morning to Nickel in germany.

Journal Entry 13 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Monday, November 10, 2008
arrived safe at my house, 1 more BookRing to read before I can start here.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me.
(already asked for next members address)

Journal Entry 14 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/17/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 15 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, November 27, 2008
I've spent the last week stalking the postman, looking for this to arrive. Happily it's here now, and looks very readable. I'm halfway through a fairly easy read at the moment and will then dive straight into this one.

Journal Entry 16 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, November 28, 2008
Unlike others who've journalled on this book, I actually loved the writing style. The book kept me absolutely mesmerised. I started reading it at 10am this morning and didn't take my eyes off it until I'd finished it. Brilliant!

You know the outcome, but the suspense is still there. A remarkable piece of writing. I must find more by the author.

Huge thanks to ChiBoiler for sharing this with us.

Have PMd Alectoness for her address.

Journal Entry 17 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, November 28, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/28/2008 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted first class to Alectoness

Journal Entry 18 by Alectoness from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 29, 2008
Arrived in the morning's post. Thanks Caroley for sending it so quickly!

Journal Entry 19 by Alectoness from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Sunday, November 30, 2008
Like Caroley before me, I found that I couldn't put this down for long and read it from start to finish within the day.

The narrative style was unusual, but for me, that added to the tension - with each chapter rushing towards the inevitable and tragic end. I wondered as I was reading it how much was based on an actual story, and have spent this evening reading on the internet about Mary Jo Kopechne. How sad it all is.

Have PM'd arturogrande for an address, and hope to get the book moving again soon. Thanks ChiBoiler for including me on this ring!

Journal Entry 20 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Arrived today - thanks very much. I've got a couple of rings ahead of this one, but I'll get to it as soon as I can (Christmas permitting!)

Journal Entry 21 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 25, 2009
I enjoyed this - although I'm not sure that 'enjoy' is quite the right word to apply to such a desperately sad story, which is just a thinly veiled account of the Teddy Kennedy/Mary Jo Kopechne/Chappaquiddick affair. I liked the writing style, which hurried the narrative along to its inevitable conclusion - much as I would have loved it to have turned out differently.
Thanks for sharing this, ChiBoiler. It's now on its way to WigglyWoods.

Journal Entry 22 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Received from arturogrande this morning - many thanks.

Journal Entry 23 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 29, 2009
Couldn't put this book down and all the while I was reading it - I was still hoping they would get her out of there and yet knowing that they weren't going to. Many thanks for the opportunity to read it, I have pm'd inspirito for address details.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/30/2009 UTC) at A Not-So-Secret Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

posting off to iliotropio today. Thanks very much for starting off the ray, I was gripped by this 'story' and carried on hoping for a different outcome all the way to the end - even though I knew it wasn't going to happen!

Journal Entry 25 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Black Water is now in Brussels. Thank you WigglyWoods for sending it!

Journal Entry 26 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Monday, June 22, 2009
I´ve discovered Black Water yesterday under a pile of books and magazines at home...
I´m so sorry, I thought I had already sent it to its next reader, after enjoying reading it.
Well, now it´s at last on its way to christina82. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 27 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Found this in my mailbox when I returned home from work. This will be a nice way to start my summer holidays - which start tomorrow!!!Yeah!

Thank you so much for sharing ChiBoiler

Journal Entry 28 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Saturday, June 27, 2009
This was nice and short and I finished it today. I think the story was really interesting, but I didn't like the style of writing very much.

I will pm chambejd right away and get the book moving asap...

Thank you for sharing...

Journal Entry 29 by christina82 at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/21/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This book was sent out at the beginning of this month - just forgot to make a release note.

Journal Entry 30 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Thanks, chiboiler, for the reminder to journal this book. I've been a little scatterbrained lately. I do have the book and I'm finding it extremely boring and dry (which accounts for the delay in the book's travels). I apologize for having had it so long and promise to push myself to finish it soon and send it on its way.

Journal Entry 31 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
I've come to realize that I just don't really care for JCO's writing style. Thanks for sharing this book with me and sorry to have kept it for so long.

It went in the mail today to sunfi.

Journal Entry 32 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Arrived safe and sound in Ohio today along with 3 other bookrings. I'll get to this as soon as I can. I keep my profile updated (weekly) so you can always see how close this is to the top of the TBR listing. Thanks chiboiler for including me and chambejd for mailing this to me.

Journal Entry 33 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 06, 2010
Wow, what an interesting read. I found myself rationalizing whether or not the end would turn out the way that I knew it would. I enjoyed the writers style, it took a couple chapters to get used to it and then I was hooked. I'm planning to send this out as a RABK, I'll JE when it goes out and whom I'm sending it to.

Journal Entry 34 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Saturday, May 15, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/15/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Sent off to magroxyou as a RABCK, no time limit for reading the book, I just ask that whenever you finish it you consider passing it onto another bookcrosser. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 35 by MagRoxYou on Tuesday, May 18, 2010
received in mail as a rabck! thanks :)

Journal Entry 36 by MagRoxYou at Bronx, New York USA on Thursday, September 16, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/16/2010 UTC) at Bronx, New York USA