Home and Exile

by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by harmaja of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, January 12, 2008
I'm registering (nearly) all the books in the house, since we're moving, and I want to keep track of all the books we have. This is a part of our personal collection, at least for the time being.

"More personally revealing than anything Achebe has written, Home and Exile - the great Nigerian novelist's first book in more than ten years - is a major statement on the importance of stories as real sources of power, especially for those whose stories have traditionally been told by outsiders.

In three elegant essays, Achebe seeks to rescue African culture from narratives written about it by Europeans. Looking through the prism of his experiences as a student in English schools in Nigeria, he provides devastating examples of European cultural imperialism."

(Source: Amazon.com)

Journal Entry 2 by harmaja at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 22, 2011
I need space for children's books. Lots of space. Therefore, I'm releasing a bunch of adult books I haven't come around reading so far. They look like the kinds of books I'd like to try at least, but oh well, life is too short and my shelf space is limited!

Journal Entry 3 by harmaja at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/10/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I will soon send this book to Tarna.

Journal Entry 4 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Wow, two Chinua Achebe books at the same time. You're so generous, harmaja.
According to the blurb, Home and Exile “is a major statement on the importance of stories as real sources of power, especially for those whose stories have traditionally been told by outsiders.” — Sounds exactly my kind of book. Thank you so much, harmaja!

Journal Entry 5 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, August 26, 2018
I was right, I love this book. First of all, I love the way Achebe writes. No matter if it's fiction or non-fiction, I feel so at home in his text. And then, of course, what he writes. I felt guilty for being European – even if he's not blaming us. I felt ashamed of myself for having been such a careless reader. Decades ago I read A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul and have loved his books ever since. I didn't see anything dubious in his text until now. Chinua Achebe had to show it to me. I feel I've learned so much. And I added a couple of books into my already much too long wishlist. Actually, Achebe made me regret having removed The Palm-Wine Drinkard by Amos Tutuola from my wishlist, so I added it there again.
Admittedly, Things Fall Apart is still my favorite among Achebe's books. But I do love these essays too. They are great.
Home and Exile is my August offer in greenbadger's One book a month thread. I'll soon draw the winner.

Chinua Achebe (1930-2013) at Pegasos – A literature related site in Finland
Chinua Achebe at Wikipedia
Chinua Achebe at Britannica.com

PS. In this entry you see picture of the Sadankomitea (Committee of 100 in Finland) postcard harmaja sent me with this book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingTarnawing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, August 27, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (8/27/2018 UTC) at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

...And the winner of the draw is conto. Congrats, and happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingcontowing at Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, September 17, 2018
Wow. It seems that besides finaly reading something from Achebe, I will also learn a bit more about too many things.... It seems I'm going to like this.
Thank you so, so much Tarna.