The Handmaid's Tale

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cally-c of Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 1/10/2008
Journal Entry 1 by cally-c from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 10, 2008
Amazon Synopsis:
Written by the author of "Surfacing", "The Edible Woman", "Dancing Girls", "Bodily Harm", "Bluebeard's Egg" and "Life Before Man", this novel is set in an overtly political territory.

As disturbing as (if not more than) Brave New World. The only heartening thing about it is the resistance to this regime.
Good read though.

Journal Entry 2 by cally-c at 1001 Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/16/2008 UTC) at 1001 Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Released into my BookBox

Journal Entry 3 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Removed from the bookbox. Thanks Cally-c!

Journal Entry 4 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, June 04, 2018
Wow, this has been sat on my bookshelf for nine whole years, without even a slight glance in its direction from me until recently.

I’ve been recording the new TV show starring Elizabeth Moss and my wife really wants to watch it. I’ve said I would but I wanted to read the novel first before so I could make a comparison, it was at that point that I removed it from the shelf and dusted it down.

I haven’t read the blurb or anything else about it so this morning after reading the first three chapters I had no idea where or when it is set, what it was about or any inclination of where it might go. I’ve heard people mention it’s depressing but that’s about it.

Anyway without further ado I’ve embarked on this journey and will update as I go along.

Journal Entry 5 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 20, 2018
I finished this whilst on holiday. I enjoyed it! It's well written as are most of Atwood's novels.

An interesting yet very disturbing "alternative" future, obliviously a little dated due to the advancement in technologies that we've seen since the publication of the novel.

I'm very interested to see how they've adapted this to the TV screen.

Anyway passed this onto KT-J to read now.

Journal Entry 6 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Received, thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 05, 2019
Had been wanting to read this for ages and finally got round to it last year (the journal entry is a little late!). I've read a number of Margaret Atwood's books and I've always really enjoyed her writing.

I thought this book was fantastic - a great premise (albeit very bleak and depressing in many respects as it's a dystopian novel) and then also written from the perspective of Offred as a potentially unreliable narrator but compellingly taking you through the background of how the current society has come about and what that entails for her and other handmaids in their current daily lives.

Really worth reading and I'll be interested to read the sequel The Testaments when it comes out later this year to see if that comes up to the same standard and has the same impact.

Journal Entry 8 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 05, 2019
Thanks KT-J. I've caught this back and will arrange either a bookray or wild release soon.

Journal Entry 9 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, December 09, 2019
Added to Flutterbies9 random bookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, January 12, 2020
Returned in my Random Bookbox in January 2020.

This I have read quite a few years ago and recently watched the series as a tv dramatisation (as I suspect many did!) so I may well pass this on in another bookbox to ensure it gets a wider audience.

Released 1 yr ago (1/15/2020 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Released to a Bookbox which I intend to post on Wednesday provided I get the details for next in line first!

Journal Entry 12 by wingrussbaumwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 31, 2020
Just taken out of the "What the Reviewers Said" Wrap It Up bookbox.
I will add it to my TBR list.

Journal Entry 13 by wingrussbaumwing at BookMooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Released 11 mos ago (2/11/2020 UTC) at BookMooch.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

Well, the problem with a massive pile of TBR is occasionally someone wants something so rather than have it sit for another 5 years, off it goes.

Posted from London, UK to Blackburn, UK to Sal, another UK member of www.bookmooch.com. Hope it arrives safely.

Bookmooch is an international book swap site and it's simple to use.

List the books you want to give away, send them to users who want them, get other books in return.

Go on, sign up now. You know you want to !

Journal Entry 14 by Froglady3 at Blackburn, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, February 14, 2020
Received via BookMooch