Written on the Body

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099193914 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Miss-Owl on 1/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Miss-Owl on Sunday, January 06, 2008
Been trying to cut back on buying books, but second hand books don't count as book purchases. Um...

Justifying by saying that this could possibly be a good postmodern text for my Ext 1 kids.

Journal Entry 2 by Miss-Owl on Wednesday, July 09, 2008
On the other hand, possibly not (in reference to the comment above for my Ext 1 kids). But I'm still glad I read this, my first Winterson novel.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about her style - at times incredibly moving and poetic, shunning conventional limits - reminiscent to me of Virginia Woolf - yet at other times somewhat bloated, maudlin and over-written for my taste. Let me look on the positive side, however, and say that Winterson certainly delivers what the title promises - some portions are quite anatomical indeed!

To remain positive, here are a few passages I really enjoyed. This one comes from the first page of the novel:

"You said 'I love you.' Why is it that the most unoriginal thing we can say to one another is still the thing we long to hear? 'I love you' is always a quotation. You did not say it first and neither did I, yet when you say it and when I say it we speak like savages who have found three words and worship them. I did worship them but now I am alone on a rock hewn out of my own body.

CALIBAN:
You taught me language and my profit on't is
I know how to curse. The red plague rid you
For learning me your language.

Love demands expression. It will not stay still, stay silent, be good, be modest, be seen and not heard, no. It will break out in tongues of praise, the high note that smashes the glass and spills the liquid. It is no conservationist love. It is a big game hunter and you are the game. A curse on this game. How can you stick at a game when the rules keep changing? I shall call myself Alice and play croquet with the flamingoes. In Wonderland everyone cheats and love is Wonderland isn't it?"

I also liked this visual imagery, from near the end of the novel (but with Winterson I get the feeling that plot doesn't really matter anyway, so no spoilers here).

"Lights in ribbons where the road runs. Hard flares far away at the industrial estate. In the sky the red and green landing lights of an aircraft full of sleepy people."

Reserved for donation to the 1001 library. Haven't quite figured out how it works, yet, but I'm sure I'll get some guidance!

Journal Entry 3 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, July 10, 2008

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Miss-Owl:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Passed on to me by Miss-Owl for safe-keeping as she was going overseas for a while.
I've read this one - interesting book - so I'll place it back onto the 1001-library AVL shelf.

Journal Entry 5 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 31, 2009

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing crimson-tide:)

Journal Entry 6 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Requested from the library by Lemon-Crisis, so will be travelling off to the UK very soon.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/11/2011 UTC) at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom

Sent off to Lemon-Crisis by post (airmail).
Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by BGQ-488500 at Birchington, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Arrived safely this morning. Thank you crimson-tide for posting this little book to me! I'm looking forward to reading it =]