A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 (P.S.)

by Simon Winchester | History |
ISBN: 9780060572006 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 1/30/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Found this book at BookCloseouts.com when I was looking for other books. I love Simon Winchester, and have read several of his other books, including Krakatoa, The Map that Changed the World, The Meaning of Everything, and The Surgeon of Crowthorne.

From the cover -
Unleashed by ancient geologic forces, a magnitude 8.25 earthquake rocked San Francisco in the early hours of April 18, 1906. Less than a minute later, the city lay in ruins. Bestselling author Simon Winchester brings his inimitable storytelling abilities to this extraordinary event, exploring the legendary earthquake and fires that spread horror across San Francisco and northern California in 1906 as well as its startling impact on American history and, just as important, what science has recently revealed about the fascinating subterranean processes that produced it - and almost certainly will cause it to strike again.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Thursday, June 07, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

I am the current custodian/overseer of The Biographies of Things book box started by MaryZee. This book will be ideal to include in the next round.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, May 10, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (5/10/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is now part of the Biographies of Things book box started by MaryZee and continued in her memory.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
I was pleased to find this book, registered by maryzee, in the Biographies of Things bookbox. I've already read it, so I'll leave it for someone else, but wanted to add my comments.

There was perhaps a bit more background information than that specifically dealing with the events of 1906, though I do enjoy some amount of "umpteen million years ago...". But there was plenty of fascinating new information to keep me going, not least the tidbits about earthquakes in areas other than San Francisco - such as Charleston SC! And I was tickled to find a mention of my old home town, Rock Springs, Wyoming, as John Wesley Powell went by there on his way in search of the Grand Canyon. (Yep, we're still wandering pretty far from San Francisco.) I also learned about high-end insurance from the other side of the desk: there's a bit about Lloyd's of London, which has always been underwritten by the private fortunes of its board members. Turns out that Winchester has a friend who's one of the Lloyd's "Names" - and after 9/11, he and all the other "Names" found themselves being tapped for payment after payment, a quarter of a million dollars at a time. Somehow I had never thought about insurance-company liability on a personal level - though whether that's better or worse than the corporate setups where, past a certain point, the insurance company simply folds and declares bankruptcy, I couldn't say.

After the book finally does discuss the San Francisco earthquake, it steps back to reiterate how fragile a hold we have on life; it reminded me of the wonderful Bill Bryson book, A Short History of Nearly Everything, in which he also points out how many different ways there are for slight changes in the earth's climate, oceans, core, or spin to have disastrous effects on human civilization, and perhaps on all known life. I find this oddly comforting, for some reason {wry grin}.

Journal Entry 5 by Dove-i-Libri at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Rec'd as part of MaryZee's Biographies of Things Book Box (Link)
It looks very interesting, and I will be keeping this one here.

* Interesting to note that this book was actually registered by BookCrosser MaryZee, who passed away some years ago!

Released 7 mos ago (6/22/2019 UTC) at ~ Iwillrejoice's ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent as part of Iwillrejoice's ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter W (Link).

Released as part of Booklady331's KTM Challenge (Link).

☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, June 22, 2019
Read this book before. I will keep it in the ring for another reader.

Journal Entry 8 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 29, 2019
taking from the "W" bookring, as shelving with the ABC TBRs