On Chesil Beach

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by sunflowergirl of Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on 1/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Saturday, January 05, 2008
This book has been on my wishlist since it was published in hardback so when I spotted it in Tesco today in paperback and in a 2 for £7 offer I could not resist! I hope to get time to read this very soon.

Synopsis from Waterstones

It is June 1962. In a hotel on the Dorset coast, overlooking Chesil Beach, Edward and Florence, who got married that morning, are sitting down to dinner in their room. Neither is entirely able to suppress their anxieties about the wedding night to come..."On Chesil Beach" is another masterwork from Ian McEwan - a story about how the entire course of a life can be changed by a gesture not made or a word not spoken.

Journal Entry 2 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Monday, January 07, 2008
I read this book last night, it was impossible to put down so I read it all in one sitting. I thought the book was very well-written; his descriptions of the characters was rather spare and yet, at the same time, we were told all we needed to know. I thought I caught a slight hint in the book that Florence my have been sexually abused by her father but I am so glad that this was not expanded on - it would have been so easy for McEwan to write that she was so uptight because she was abused. I was, in some ways, disappointed with how the book ended. I actually believed something much more sinister was going to happen on Chesil beach, it felt that that was being built up to. And then... nothing. Having said that, the other side of me did like the ending because it was nice to be wrong in my suspicions of how it would all end. Too often I guess right how a book will end and sometimes it is nice to be surprised!

I'm not sure what I'll do with this book now, I may put it in a VBB on BCUK Extra or I might set up a ring/ray for it. If you're interested in reading this book, please PM me.

This book will be posted to Twicky today. Hope you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 4 by Twicky from Twickenham, Middlesex United Kingdom on Sunday, January 27, 2008
Arrived with me safely. Many thanks.