A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ladilee24 of Newark, Delaware USA on 12/31/2007
Journal Entry 1 by ladilee24 from Newark, Delaware USA on Monday, December 31, 2007
The struggles of women in Afghanistan are richly and heart-breakingly examined in this novel from the author of the Kite Runner. Following the stories of Mariam, a young woman born outside wedlock and sent into a cruel marriage by her father's family, and Laila, a younger woman who becomes the second wife in Mariam's husband, the book pulls no punches in showing the harsh conditions and practical-slavery of women in late 20th century Afghanistan, as war rips the nation and the Taliban rises to power. I wept over this book, and found myself thankful, as a woman, to be born where and when I was. An effecting read thatI won't soon forget.

Journal Entry 2 by ladilee24 from Newark, Delaware USA on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
This book is now heading out as a ray. Standard guidlines apply:
1. Please journal when you receive the book.
2. Try to read it within a month or let us know if it is taking longer.
3. PM the next person for their address before you finish and then journal the book before you send it on its way.

Hope everyone enjoys!!

3) Collegelady - California, ships anywhere
4) boomda181 - Canada, ships anywhere
5) scrutiny - Hong Kong, ships anywhere
6) shelly-sparkles, Austrialia

Released 11 yrs ago (1/10/2008 UTC) at mailed to next reader in Postal release, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Breeze144

Journal Entry 4 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 20, 2008
This arrived on Friday, forgot to journal until now...sorry! I have been enjoying it all weekend, should be able to send it out this week.

Thanks for sharing!

Later - well I managed to finish this today...with tears in my eyes! I loved this story! It made me sick to my stomach at some points but brings the truth about Afghan refugees into my sheltered life. Hosseini does a great job of writing from a woman's perspective.

Will send along as soon as I get ariesgirl's address!

Jan 24 - Still haven't heard from ariesgirl. Sent another PM today!

Released 11 yrs ago (1/31/2008 UTC) at Bookring/ray in which I don't really trust, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Sending to ariesgirl today!

Journal Entry 6 by ariesgirl29 from South Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Yay! I have been so looking forward to reading this book and here it is! I am reading a book right now and will read this next.

Thanks for letting me join!

Journal Entry 7 by ariesgirl29 from South Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 25, 2008
mailing off to topazcat - enjoy! I wish I had time to read it now but have so much going on with school and work to sit down and enjoy it. DC #0307 1790 0005 4325 7469

Journal Entry 8 by TopazCat from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, February 29, 2008
Received today from Ariesgirl29. Thank you! Perfect timing, I had just finished my library book when the mailman arrived. LOL Am going to PM the next in line to get her snail-mail addy ready...

Journal Entry 9 by TopazCat from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Sunday, March 02, 2008
I admit, I've been wanting to read this book for a long time but was hesitant when it actually was in my hands. Like swimming in a cold pool, I just took a breath and jumped in. I'm so very glad I did. It was unbelievably beautiful. The author shows immense talent in being able to create female characters - if I didn't know better, I would think he was a woman. He was able to cut away the alien-ness of the Afghani culture and bear the bones and blood of what makes us all human. He was able to explain the politics of the last 40-50 years, the good and the bad (from their point of view) and make us understand a little, without getting all dry and pedantic. WARNING - I needed a box of tissues to finish this book. You might too...

Going to mail this week to Collegelady - no fear, I will PM you when it goes to the post office.

Released 11 yrs ago (3/8/2008 UTC) at --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) in El Cajon, California USA

Being placed in the mail to Collegelady today! Enjoy.

DC# 0306 0320 0001 7350 4734

Journal Entry 11 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Sunday, March 16, 2008
Sorry for the delay in posting this. The book arrived from TopazCat yesterday (Friday 3/14/08). I'm looking forward to reading it during my break in about two weeks but I am a fast reader so it won't take long Boomda!

Journal Entry 12 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Very good book. Made me cry in several places. Make sure you have a box of tissues nearby when reading this!!!

Sent today to Boomda

Journal Entry 13 by boomda181 on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Arrived in the mail today. I can't wait to start this one right after I am finished reading the book I am reading right now. Journal more soon!

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%
I loved this book! Thanks for the opportunity to read it. In Khaled Hosseini's second novel A Thousand Splendid Suns portrays life in Kabul as a woman. Mariam is the illegitimate daughter of a rich man who grows up in squalor with her mother. After the loss of her mother, Mariam is forced into a marriage to a cruel man who beats emotionally and physically. Laila is the daughter of a teacher who looks forward to a future with education and achievements. In a moment her life takes a turn and she too finds herself in a marriage where domestic violence is frequent. The two become close friends through an unlikely situation.

I must admit, I loved this book. If I had to choose, I would say that I preferred it to The Kite Runner.

Journal Entry 14 by boomda181 at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/13/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Scutiny in Hong Kong. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by scrutiny on Thursday, November 06, 2008
I enjoyed this book more than I did The Kite Runner, which is rather surprising to me. The only problem I had about this book was the shift in focus from Mariam to Laila, which initially didn't make sense, but of course reveals itself as the plot thickens. I would totally recommend this book to anyone!

Off to the next reader once I have the address!

Journal Entry 16 by Shelly-Sparkles on Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Arrived for my reading pleasure in the mail today!
Thank you - love the love heart postcard it is on my wall at work!
Happy Days