In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner

by Elizabeth George | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, December 30, 2007
My sister passed this book on to me. It's a hardcover book.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, October 25, 2015
wow, this book has sat on my bookshelf for a long time, almost 8 years. But I always knew that I would read it if only because of the standing stones on the cover. I've been fascinated with stone circles, like Stonehenge, since I was young. It still amazes me that ancient people could erect these stones with nothing but hand labour. Wikipedia says that there are 1,303 stone circles in Britain, Ireland and Brittany. The henge in this book, Nine Sisters Henge, exists although not where the map on the inside covers shows it.. This list of the 10 best stone circles in Britain has Nine Sisters (which the writer refers to as Nine Ladies) places it at number 6.

This book came out in 1999 and it reflects the technology of the time. There are mobile phones but they are not as widely used as now. Instead some of the characters in this book use pagers (remember them?) There are computers but they are neither as fast or as reliable as present day. In one key scene near the end the police computer system is down and motor vehicles searches have to be done over the telephone which takes much more time and leads Inspector Lynley to make a mistake.

Two young people, a man and a woman, were killed on the moors in Derbyshire. The woman is the daughter of a former policeman who requests that DI Thomas Lynley be brought in on the murder. Although Lynley has normally partnered with DS Barbara Havers he chooses DC Winston Nkata to be his partner this time. That's because Havers has been demoted as a result of an incident where she disobeyed a superior's orders that took place while Lynley was on his honeymoon. Havers does get involved in the investigation when Nkata requests her help in establishing the identity of the young male victim. From then on she takes the bit in her teeth and follows her hunches which makes Lynley even angrier than he was. Revelation follows revelation about these two victims. Each police officer involved has his or her own favourite as the perpetrator. See if you can guess who is right?

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/11/2015 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossers meeting this afternoon. If no-one wants to take it home it will be placed on the OBCZ shelf.

Journal Entry 4 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, November 11, 2015
This book is currently sitting on the Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone bookshelf in Café d'Amour, 685 Osborne Street, Winnipeg MB.

It is waiting there for a new reader to take home, read, and release back into the wild!

Winnipeg bookcrossers meet at my location on the second Wednesday of every month at 5:30 pm to chat about books, swap great reads, and release on the OBCZ shelves. Please join us! We love to see new faces! You will enjoy the comfy atmosphere, the fabulous coffees and teas, and the yummy treats!

Journal Entry 5 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, September 18, 2016
At our BookCrossing Meeting today there were only 10 books left on the OBCZ shelf and this was not one of them. Hopefully it will let us know about its adventures out in the world