A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

by Marina Lewycka, | Humor | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9780141020525 Global Overview for this book
Registered by klaradyn of Praha, Praha Czech Republic on 12/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Sunday, December 30, 2007
Synopsis from amazon.co.uk: " 'Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamourous blonde Ukrainian divorcee. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.' Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must put aside a lifetime of feuding to save their emigre engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth. But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget..."

Will be releasing this soon.

Released 11 yrs ago (1/10/2008 UTC) at The Coffee Bean, Main Road, Rondebosch in Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

In the basket.

Journal Entry 3 by readingtrix from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, February 01, 2008
I enjoyed this unusual story sometime ago (part of a book ring) but had to send it off to another bookcrosser in a hurry. My husband still wanted to read it and I had made him inquisitive about this unusual story. Now he will get that chance!

Journal Entry 4 by readingtrix from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
This copy will go to a good friend, teacher, reader and a potential bookcrosser as soon as I have a chance.
I read the book sometime ago and enjoyed it...not hillarious but it did put a smile on my face from time to time. An unusual read to say the least. My husband's comment was that the last few chapters were the best.
This novel was shortlisted for the Orange prize!

Journal Entry 5 by katherinel from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
I have read and really enjoyed this book. I attended a talk by Marina Lewycka at the International Book Fair at the CTICC earlier this year. She was very entertaining. It was quite a surprise to hear her Sheffield accent when so many of her characters are Eastern European.

CAUGHT IN CAPE TOWN WESTERN CAPE SOUTH AFRICA