Running West

by James Houston | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 077104268x Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, December 30, 2007
I bought this book over a year ago from the Millennium Library book sale but didn't get around to registering it until now.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, October 27, 2011
This is the second book by James Houston that I have read and I have really enjoyed both of them. In this book a young Scottish man, William, ends up indentured to the Hudson's Bay Company and because he can read, write and calculate he is sent as a clerk to York Factory. Soon after his arrival a young Dene woman is brought to the fort by local Cree who found her at their hunting camp. Thana and her cousin were kidnapped from her family's encampment by a vicious man from a rival tribe, the Wood Cats. They managed to get away from him but her cousin drowned and Thana barely survived. William has a gift for learning languages so the Governor asks him to learn Dene from Thana. As they work together learning each other's language William and Thana fall in love. So wehn the Governor suggests that the two of them and some Cree "run west" to Thana's native land they are quite happy to do so. The Governor's aim is to find the source of gold and copper that the Dene are known to possess. There are plenty of hardships on their journey and that had me reading late into the night.

Houston really captures the lifestyle of the fur traders and their native contacts. He spent many years in the Arctic and brought Inuit art to the attention of the rest of the world. According to his obituary in the New York Times he travelled with the Inuit and lived as they did. This book has exquisite little drawings sprinkled through it done by Houston who was also an acclaimed artist.

I'm going to look for more books by this author. This is my fourth read for John Mutford's challenge to read at least 13 books by Canadian authors between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. I decided to read 13 books by Canadians who have died.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (11/10/2011 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I'm going to take this to the Winnipeg BookCrossers meet-up tonight. If no-one decides to take it home you will find it on the Winnipeg OBCZ shelves.

Journal Entry 4 by judysh at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, November 10, 2011
Thanks, and looking forward to reading this!