The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl

by Shauna Reid | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Vroomfondel of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 12/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 30, 2007
OK, I guess I have to declare an interest: Shauna was one of the first people I got to know online when I ventured on to the hinterweb in 1999, so I'm biased but I don't care!

Amazon.co.uk synopsis:
"In January 2001 Shauna Reid was twenty-three years old and twenty-five stone. Determined to turn her life around, she created the hugely successful weblog "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl" and, hiding behind her Lycra-clad roly-poly alter-ego, her transformation from couch potato to svelte goddess began. Today, 8,000 miles, seven years and twelve-and-a-half stone later, the gloriously gorgeous Shauna is literally half the woman she used to be.I n turn hysterically funny and heart-wrenchingly honest, "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl" follows the twists and turns of Shauna's lard-busting adventure as she curbs the calories and learns to love the gym. There are travel tales from Red Square to Reykjavik, plus romance and intrigue as she meets the man of her dreams during a pub quiz in Glasgow. As her UK visa rapidly runs out, will she be deported back to Australia or will love triumph? Entertaining and action-packed, this is the uplifting true story of a young woman who defeated her demons and conquered her cravings to become a weight-loss superhero to inspire us all."

This book was fabulous on so many levels! What Shauna achieved - to reduce her weight by 50 per cent - is remarkable and inspirational in itself. How she writes about it is wonderful, at times with great humour and at other times with great pathos. For me, as somebody who is slowly dealing with his weight, almost every page spoke to me, mirroring how I have felt over, not only over the last three years as I've lost four stone (and put one back on), but how I felt over the previous fifteen years of hating myself and my body. How Shauna's weight loss started well and then tailed off for a bit mirrors my own experience, and I think it's appropriate for me to be reading this at New Year, as I can make getting back on the weight-loss band wagon as one of my resolutions.

And she blows the "muscle weighs more than fat" myth out of the water (which I was sick of hearing at slimming class)!

BookrayThis book is now available as a bookray. PM your location and shipping preferences if you're interested in the book. The bookray begins from the UK and can go on internationally if there are participants. Usual rules apply:

• Make a journal entry when you receive the book
• Contact the next reader for their address when you are almost done
• Post a review when you've read the book - please try to send it on within a month of receipt if you can
• Make a journal entry or controlled release notes when you send the book on

Participants (so far):
1. kiyoitsukikage (Poland, will ship within Europe)
2. chelseagirl (UK, would prefer to post to the UK)
3. fushmush (UK, would prefer to ship UK only, but will post anywhere if necessary)
4. Mary-T (Germany, will ship internationally)
5. mellion108 (US, will ship internationally)
6. SilverFlame (US, would prefer to ship to the US only) <--- here (27 November 2008)
7. BooksnBeer (US, will ship internationally)
8. Shelly-Sparkles (Australia, happy to post within Australia)
9. briz-cowgirl (Australia, happy to post internationally) (she's now bought her own copy!)

Journal Entry 2 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 18, 2008
Arrived yesterday, thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 3 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 25, 2008
I enjoyed the book a lot, even though I cannot much relate to Shauna's problems (but to some extent, still). It was really interesting and her comments are hilarious. Thanks for letting me read this book!

Released 11 yrs ago (1/27/2008 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 5 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 01, 2008
Arrived safely, and my son was very impressed that I had a parcel from Poland!!! Looking forward to this, will be the next to be read.

Journal Entry 6 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 17, 2008
W£hat a fantastic, inspiring read! Almost wants to make me throw away the crisps and run out to the nearest gym .... seriously!

Shanua's journal of her journey from 25stone and fed up down to 12 stone and blissfully happy is a joy to read - funny, heart-warming, sad, knowing. What comes across as being all-important, even more so than Shauna's incredible weight loss, is the love that she ulti8mately has for herself and her body. Thank you so much for sharing this!!

I'll drop fushmush a line and get this moving on asap.

UPDATE: sorry for the delay, this will be going in the post today.

Journal Entry 7 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Received today. I have 1.5 bookrays ahead of it. Looking forward to reading it as I've been a long time reader of Shauna's blog WNP?.

Updating as I never journaled it before sending it on.

Wow, what an inspiring read. It's actually motivated me to get off the couch and start excerising again. I'd really like to lose the heathrow injection and get back to a healthier weight. I've always loved Shauna's writing style so this was an interesting and fun read.

Journal Entry 8 by Mary-T from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, April 12, 2008
Diet girl was sitting in my mail-box today. Thanks!
I'm looking forward to reading her adventures.
... later more

08-June-08
Yes, this was great. Respect to Shauna.
This read really motivated myself again to keep it going! ;)

The next days, diet girl will be on her way to the next stop.

Journal Entry 9 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, June 27, 2008
Whoa! An avalanche of rays/rings was in my mailbox today. Four arrived at the same time!

Anyway...this book arrived safely. I will start it as soon as possible and have it on its way to the next person.
Thanks for sending this to me, Mary-T, and thanks to Vroomfondel for sharing. :)
Trade paperback, 400 pages

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Monday, June 30, 2008
From Dietgirl's website:
The US edition will be published by HarperCollins on 30 December 2008!

If I could, I would be turning sumersaults for joy over this. Why? BECAUSE I LOVE THIS BOOK, and I want to buy my very own copy! (Although I pray, pray, pray they don't change any of the text for the American version.)

I started reading this book sometime early Sunday afternoon, thinking that I would just read a few pages and then get some things done around the house.

Nope.

I sat on my deck in the sunshine (with sunscreen) all afternoon, reading, crying, chuckling, and snorting with laughter. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm totally mental because there was no way I could contain the laughter through much of this book. I cried with her as she described that first agonizing weigh-in at Weight Watchers, and I celebrated and cheered as she worked her way to a healthier state and bagged her very own balding, adorable, Scottish dude. Once I read the final word, I was tempted to start reading again.

Shauna keeps it raw and real. She doesn't hold back any punches when it comes to talking about her personal/family issues, using food to hide behind (oh, how I can relate), and her shame and guilt over her weight, how she gained it, and why she practically turned herself into a recluse to hide from the world. How many of us can relate to her saying that she convinced herself that she was less than everyone else because she was heavy?

I re-joined Weight Watchers in late April. It's the one plan that has worked for me, and right now I need that kind of structure. I've lost 16.8 pounds so far (hmmmm...just a tad more than a stone, right?), but my motivation has been lagging the last couple of weeks. I find myself reaching for a lot of those trigger foods. This book arrived on my doorstep at such a good time. I can relate to a good deal of Shauna's story, and I applaud all of her efforts, and, most importantly, her committment to keeping herself healthy.

Anyway...thank you SO much, Vroomfondel, for sharing this book. I have PMd SilverFlame for an address and will have this gem moving again as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 11 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Monday, July 07, 2008
UPDATE: Mailed to SilverFlame July 7, 2008

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by SilverFlame from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, November 27, 2008
I'm so ridiculously overdue to send this book on its way. :S Contacting the next person in line now to get it going on its journey!

Angela

Journal Entry 13 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 30, 2009
Sadly, this book has been missing, presumed lost in the post, since November. So we'll call it dead and hope it comes back to life one day when it's found loitering the corner of a mail room!