Wide Sargasso Sea

by Jean Rhys | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Charly83 of Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on 12/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Charly83 from Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Friday, December 28, 2007
Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Antoinette Cosway, a Creole heiress living in Jamaica, who meets and marries a young Englishman, Mr Rochester. Taken from the vibrant, sensual Caribbean landscape to England, Antoinette finds herself the centre of disturbing rumours which gradually poison her husband's mind against her.

Journal Entry 2 by Charly83 at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/22/2011 UTC) at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany

Das Buch macht sich per Post als Rabck auf den Weg nach Bonn.

Journal Entry 3 by sintra at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 28, 2011
Thanks a lot for this book! I've been meaning to read it for a while since I did Jane Eyre in my literature exams. Since I can also include it in my current reading challenge I'll probably read it very soon. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by sintra at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 11, 2011
I'm normally not a big friend of sequels or prequels to literary classics as they very often have a tendency towards fan fiction. Luckily, there's no such thing to be found in Wide Sargasso Sea: the story of the woman locked up in the attic in Jane Eyre offers an interesting post-colonial aspect and an atmospheric portrait of the Caribbean. By picking up certain plot lines from Charlotte Brontë's novel and giving voice to both Antoinette/Bertha and her husband, Rhys creates a possible context for the estranged marriage - after all, in Jane Eyre "Bertha's" story is only told by a rather unreliable narrator, Rochester himself.

Thanks again for this book! It will continue its journey soon.

This book is part of the 666 for 2011 Reading Challenge. It's my fourth entry for North and Central America since the author is from Dominica where the second part of the book is set, too.

Journal Entry 5 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 03, 2011
What a lovely surprise, thank you for sending.

13 July 11 - I throughly enjoyed this book, I particularly loved the descriptions of the islands and only wish I was abel to write like that (I always get stuck for words when it comes to writing reviews!). I recently went to The Gambia and did a tour whilst their that looked at the slave trade and the island they were held on before they were shipped to places such as the Caribbean. I never considered what life was like for both the slaves and the slave owners once the Emancipation Act was passed so this has certainly given me something else to think about further to that trip. I really felt sorry for Antoinette and the way she was treated as a child, it only makes you wonder if this was the reason for the way she acted later on in life, and things really did not get much better for her. I really want to go and re read Jane Eyre now (oh and visit the Caribbean!).

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 14, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/14/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Sent out as a RABCK and as part of the Ultimate Challenge 2011 (July theme - the elements)

Journal Entry 7 by chocdrop at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 16, 2011
Thank you so much for granting one of my wishes, kingfan30.

I have wanted to read this book for years because Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books.

Journal Entry 8 by chocdrop at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2011
I wanted to like this book but, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it. I think the problem is that I love Jane Eyre so much and I found it difficult to relate the Mr Rochester in this book to the Mr Rochester in Jane Eyre.

Journal Entry 9 by chocdrop at BCUK Unconvention 2011 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/23/2011 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2011 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Releasing at the BCUK Unconvention in Nottingham.

Journal Entry 10 by wingGhaneschawing at Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Saturday, September 24, 2011
I found this book in my goodybag :-) and I started to read in the night

Released 7 yrs ago (11/2/2011 UTC) at Café Einstein (Ehemalige OBCZ) in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria

Hello! Bookcrossing is a online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are curious to see how far and wide it will travel and how its readers like it. Kindly make a journal entry to let us know it's found a new reader.

Feel free to read and keep this book, pass it on to a friend, leave it back on the shelf or somewhere else for the next reader. If you journal this book as a member, then you will hear from the book as it travels around. Happy reading!

Liebe Finderin, lieber Finder,
Gratulation, dass Du dieses Buch gefunden hast! Ich hoffe, es gefällt Dir. Du hast nicht nur ein Buch, sondern eine ganze Gemeinschaft von Leserinnen und Lesern gefunden, die Bücher lieben. Schau Dir die Seite mal an! Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn Du Dir die Zeit nimmst, einen Journal-Eintrag zu machen und mich so wissen zu lassen, wo das Buch gerade ist und was Du damit vor hast. Vielleicht willst Du Bookcrossing ja beitreten? Das ist anonym, kostenlos und macht Spaß!

Journal Entry 12 by calendulaa at Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Thursday, November 03, 2011
Thanks a lot! As the author was born in Dominica - this book is perfect for the "1 Jahr - 1 Land Challenge".