Brown Girl in the Ring

by Nalo Hopkinson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, December 27, 2007
A Christmas gift. :)
One of the 2008 Canada Reads candidates.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, January 17, 2008
I asked for this book for Christmas. Each year my partner and I exchange Christmas wish lists containing only books and we spoil each other every year buying as many books off the lists as we can augmenting the Christmas surprise factor by adding books that we just know the other would like. We know each other's tastes as well as we know our own.

My partner asked, "Are you sure you want this book?"

He knows I like Canadian fiction, especially by women authors. But, I am a book snob. I don't like romances, westerns, horror, science fiction, fantasy, chic lit or mystery. It's not that I've never read these. I have. I like to think I've refined my taste and know what I like. My fiction has to ring true, be plausible, be realistic and be pertinent to me and my life. In short I have to be able to see/place myself in the story.

So, it was a fair question and he was right. I would never have picked this on my own. I don't remember when it came out and I do pay attention. The only reason I asked for it was because of the 2008 Canada Reads list. I was quite prepared not to like it. In fact, I've already gone out on a limb and proclaimed King Leary as the winner, the book that all Canadians should read this year. Well, Canadians should read that book - it's about hockey, for heaven's sake.

But maybe, just maybe they should read this one too.

It's not about hockey. In fact, it's full of things I don't like and things that are alien to me - violence, horror, magic. It's set in the future. The characters speak in their own dialect - something that I often find irritating and difficult to read.

But I loved this book. I did stumble over the patois at the beginning but there was enough of those things I like, motherhood, relationships and survival to keep me interested long enough to become enchanted and intrigued.

I am not a religious person. I don't think I'll end up with Satan in Hell (where, if the religion in which I've had instruction is all true, I'd be destined to wind up). But I am in my own way a spiritual person and I am interested in the spiritual world of other peoples. The Caribbean Carnival characters/voodoo loas were truly exciting and I could not help myself from googling them (isn't Google a wonderful thing!)to learn more about them.

The novel itself was fast paced and graphic. I was quickly swept up by it and it never lost me. I loved the strong female characters (no men with any real redeeming qualities though, all either evil or pathetic - but that's all right by me).

I was suitably shocked by the horror in the book, shaken by the violence, fascinated by the magic and touched by the humanity.

I was able to place myself in this story about a young woman's unavoidable journey to find herself and her place.

Highly recommended.

Would I read Nalo Hopkinson again? I think so. I'm going to look for her latest (I think), The New Moon's Arms.

In general, will I choose another sci-fi, fantasy, or horror novel? Probably not.

I will be very interested to hear the defense of each of the 2008 Canada Reads books though!

This is my 5th read for the Canadian Book Challenge.

Reserved for wild release in this year's Canada Day release challenge hosted by gypsysmom (unless I am moved to foist it upon someone else before then).

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, April 13, 2008
I can't wait until July. This book's going into Kimmi's Canadian Authors Bookbox #3 and is heading east.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by VSP-560485 on Thursday, August 07, 2008
Taken out of Kimmi's 3rd Canadian Authors Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by VSP-560485 at Bridgehead Coffee House - Dalhousie in Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Friday, July 01, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Bridgehead Coffee House - Dalhousie in Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Releasing books by Canadian authors on Canada Day!

Journal Entry 6 by Klachine at Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 27, 2011
Don't really like fantasy or Sci-fi very much but actually enjoyed this book. A lot more about the human condition then about unbelievable monsters creators etc.

Taken from Bridgehead on Dalhousie in Ottawa.