By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept

by Elizabeth Smart | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, December 27, 2007
A Christmas gift from someone who knows what I like. :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Sigh...I can't decide whether I love this book or hate it.

This is the 4th book Yann Martel has sent to our Prime Minister. Mr. Martel has vowed to send a book "known to expand stillness" every two weeks for so long as Mr. Harper is Prime Minister. To date he has sent at least 27 books by my count! Mr. Harper has yet to respond personally. That boggles my mind. His assistant has sent a thank you note for one. No word on whether Mr. Harper is reading these books.

But I am.

By Grand Central Station is essentially the story of a love triangle told by "the other woman" and based on the love affair of the author with the poet George Barker. Told in poetic prose, it literally throbs with emotion. I found it difficult to read at first. Intellectually and emotionally, I was awed and exhausted by the author's ability to impart such pure, raw, heart wrenching, throat clutching emotion. The pure joy and ecstasy. The agony and desolation.

Interestingly, as I read, I was two people. I was the young lover remembering and reliving that first all-consuming love where the rest of the universe is at the same time entirely irrelevant and outside of you, yet entirely beautiful and perfect because it exists solely for you and you are it. And, I was the older, wiser adult, with a heart the size of a walnut, saying "Get over yourself already!"

Mostly though, I have to admit, I was jealous. Not of the love affair, not of that life. I think anyone who has loved has loved like that and been hurt like that. My lament is, "Oh that I could write like that!"

And, Mr. Harper, you should be ashamed. I would gladly take your place on Mr. Martel's mailing list. Please tell me you're still reading the Tolstoy in your moments of stillness.

This is my ninth book read for John Mutford's Canadian Book Challenge.

I will release it into the wild sooner or later, perhaps for gypsysmom's Canada Day release challenge later this year. I wonder who will write back first, the finder of my book or Mr. Harper?

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, April 13, 2008
Placing in Kimmi's Canadian Authors Bookbox #3. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by VSP-560485 on Thursday, August 07, 2008
Taken out of Kimmi's 3rd Canadian Authors Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by VSP-560485 on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
It is a delightful little book for word lovers. In order to appreciate it better, it is better to read it in small doses. I've been wanting to read it for a long time, so thank you Pooker3 for adding it to the book and giving me this opportunity to read it!

I had time to read it before I mailed the bookbox to the next person, so I will put it back in for someone else to enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by TCOTN from Fairview, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Picked up from theCanadian Authors bookbox #3