Quicksand (Vintage International)

by Junichiro Tanizaki | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 3/10/2003
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Monday, March 10, 2003
If you are making the foray into the world of Japanese literature, any book by Tanizaki is where you should start. The man's work is so intense and so incredibly twisted that sometimes you feel like you should have a map to guide you through the plot. Most of his books are mystery stories -- or have that feel.

The main character is a woman who is bored with her husband. Her family is putting him through law school and she's not the waiting around type. She gets involved with another man, but it is just a trifle. The real story starts when she finds Mitsuko, an art student that she meets while taking art classes because she's so bored. Mitsuko, once she's allowed to get close, starts acting like the black hole she is...sucking up the lives of everything in her orbit. It is a novel about obsession, and it is weird.

Then again, like I said, all of Tanizaki's works are bizarre.

Journal Entry 2 by HikingReader from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2003
After a truly discouraging day at work, it was so wonderful to come home and find a piece of mail with my name on it. I am very excited to continue my journey into Japanese literature with this new book. My husband and I are going away for our first anniversary this weekend :), but I will begin reading this as soon as I get home. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 3 by HikingReader from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Monday, May 26, 2003
"Quicksand" is a story of a love affair more akin to the deception and strategic manipulation of a battlefield. Throughout the story, I could hardly keep up with the lies, coercions, blackmailing and suicide threats. What a tangled mess results when the rules of society are tested by desire and the ultimate sacrifice becomes the only way to win affection. The classic love triangle refracted through a prism of Japanese weirdness! This book reads quickly with constant twists and turns. The creepy shyster Watanuki and the beguiling beauty Mitsuko are well-crafted characters that wreak mayhem on the housewife Sonoko and her seemingly boring husband. But, don't jump to conclusions, there is a surprise at the end!

Journal Entry 4 by HikingReader at on Monday, May 26, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at to fellow bookcrosser in postal release, postal release USA.

Sending to good friend and fellow bookcrosser, lovnthereadn. I hope you enjoy these weird and wonderful books! Thanks for the trade!

Journal Entry 5 by LovntheReadn from Brooklyn, New York USA on Sunday, June 08, 2003
HikingReader, you are the bomb for sending this book to me?? Love Tanizaki and can't wait to read another one of his twisted tales! Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by LovntheReadn from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, July 03, 2003
HikingReaders review of this book is perfect and couldn't be more well written. If you haven’t read anything by Tanizaki, this is a good place to start, because it is a quintessential Tanizaki novel. If you have ever read his book Naomi and cringed throughout, Quicksand = Naomi meets a Lesbian Lover. I don't know much about Tanizaki's life but no doubt he has run into at least one confused, selfish, adulterous, female sexpot that made his life miserable because its a recurring theme among his female characters. Don't get me wrong, this is the third book I read by Tanizaki, and I always rip through them because they are so quirky, intense and chock full of interesting and subtle facts about the Japanese culture. But don't start reading this thinking any of the characters will be likable.

Journal Entry 7 by LovntheReadn from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, July 07, 2003
This copy of Quicksand is going international, I am sending it to Zyana, in Potugal! I look forward to hearing what you think!

Journal Entry 8 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, July 11, 2003
I've just received this book which was kindly sent to me all the way from the other side of the Atlantic by LovntheReadn - thank you so much for your generosity- !
I'm anxious to start reading it mainly because I'm a Tanizaki enthusiast but also because this is my first book received through Bookcrossing!
I'll journal again when I finish what, I'm sure, will be a delightful reading.

Journal Entry 9 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, July 15, 2003
So far nearly all books I've read by japanese writers have had this emotional extravagance and psychological dramatism that address the innermost dark side of japanese individuals. Tragic, erotic and compulsive characters seemingly composed and model citizens reveal themselves far darker souls than you could ever imagine!
From Shusako Endo to Yukio Mishima the ingredients are more often than not very similar and the stories equally impressive and emotionally charged.
Quicksand is divine. It portrays a reality of erotic obsession, deceit, blackmail, love, betrayal, rage, calculism, .... you name it! It's almost claustrophobic in It's intimacy and ultimately you find yourself feeling as though you want out of this mess but at the same time drawn to the twisted love/hate/jealousy quadrangle.
Intense, vicious and gripping, Quicksand is a novel that reads quickly and portrays very vivid characters that engulf the story itself.

LovntheReadn told me "Enjoy the book, it sure is a ride!". And a ride it was ...

-------------------------
I've decided to turn this book into a perpetual bookray mainly because It's a rare title but also, and most importantly because It was sent to me by another BCrosser and it seems befitting to keep it moving ...
-------------------------

Bookray:

This bookray has begun. As It's a perpetual bookray you can still join at any time. Just send me a pm and I'll add you to the list!

Participants:
1) BlossomU (Lisboa, Portugal)
2) prytkov (Setúbal, Portugal)
3) tho (Lisboa, Portugal)
4) corvoaudaz (Lisboa, Portugal)
5) mady (Lisboa, Portugal) *Current Reader
6) Maria-Nunes (Lisboa, Portugal)
7) Lotus-Flower (Lisboa, Portugal)
8) Virgulina (Lisboa, Portugal)
9) LuisdeMedeiros (Évora, Portugal)
10) MClaraM (Lisboa, Portugal)
11) bookmanu (Cascais, Portugal)
12) Lieber (Lisboa, Portugal)
13) Lisa-B (Riedstadt, Germany)
14) symphonicca (Halifax, Canada) *prefers to ship within Canada*
15) phillycarol (Pennsylvannia, USA)
16) shankka (Pennsylvannia, USA)
17) senorag (Mississippi, USA)
18) Hawkette (Melbourne, Australia)
19) fio-dagua (Maia, Portugal)
20) kalahari (Lisboa, Portugal)
21) arvoredeperas (Lisboa, Portugal)
22) Ghandi (Évora, Portugal)
23) Kapalika (Porto, Portugal)
24) ..

Bookray Guidelines

1) First of all, as soon as the book arrives, please make a journal entry to inform about its safe arrival.
2) Please try to read the books reasonably soon after receiving them.
3) After reading the book, make another entry and add your comments as you like… pics uplodaded and quotes are welcome.
4) PM the person next in line in order to obtain his/her mailing address and to find out if he/she is ok with receiving the book soon after… If the person is going away on vacation or doesn't answer within 7 days, please PM the one after, and then me. (That way I can move the missing person down the list...)
5) You can send the books via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you. However, please let the next person know if the package is going surface, so they don't worry that it's been lost! Don't make a release note.
6) If you find you don't have the time to read the book when it's your turn please PM me and I'll move you to a later slot.

Note: When shipping to/within USA and/or Canada please write the following on the package: Used Book - NCV ($ 0.00)

Journal Entry 10 by BlossomU on Monday, July 21, 2003
Book has just arrived, am looking forward to start reading it tonight! Thanks, Zyana.

Journal Entry 11 by BlossomU on Wednesday, July 23, 2003
Fascinating read, and an insight into a culture different in so much that is fundamental and superficial. And what a tangle of desires and duties and shame. This was a book I probably would not have found or read without bookcrossing, and a great example of how bookcrossing can widen one's reading. Thanks!

I have contacted prytkov, and I am waiting for his adress to mail this book to him.

July 30 - I got Prytkov's adress yesterday, so book was mailed to him today!

Journal Entry 12 by prytkov on Sunday, August 03, 2003
Two very young women fall in love. So, the first chapters develop in an enchanted atmosphere. But, gradually, the novel moves to a shadier tone, showing the “black side” of humanity: deception, intrigue, jealousy, blackmail. Located in Osaka, Japan, the plot presents an exotic side, due to the different codes of behavior in Japanese society. But feelings and emotions, these seem very familiar.
***

Duas mulheres muito jovens – uma das quais casada - apaixonam-se. Os primeiros capítulos desenrolam-se numa atmosfera de encantamento. Mas, gradualmente, o tom passa a ser cada vez mais sombrio, revelando o “lado negro” da humanidade: engano, decepção, intriga, ciúme, chantagem.

Localizado em Osaka, no Japão, as acções das personagens apresentam um tom exótico, devido aos códigos de conduta em sociedade bastante diferentes dos nossos. Quanto aos sentimentos e emoções, esses parecem bem familiares.

O autor, Junichiro Tanizaki (1886-1965), começou a publicar textos literários ainda muito novo, sob influência de modelos ocidentais. Depois passou a interessar-se mais pela literatura tradicional do seu país e a incorporar os respectivos modelos nas suas obras. Quicksand foi escrito entre 1928 e 1930.

O livro segue agora, por correio, para a BC seguinte: tho.

Journal Entry 13 by tho on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
The book just arrived (along with two more rings - busy day for the postman :-) Hope to read it within the next week or so.

Journal Entry 14 by tho on Monday, August 18, 2003
I really enjoyed reading this book - I didn't know the author so I was quite curious and was expecting a much "darker" story than it actually is. The obsessive relationship between the two main characters is very well described, as well as the feelings and emotions that surround all characters in the story. I particularly liked all the different twists that occur during the book ... once I started reading it I couldn't put it down - I'll be looking for more of Tanizaki's books to read in the future.

Journal Entry 15 by corvoaudaz on Friday, August 22, 2003
I've received the book from Tho yesterday. Hope reading it sonn, then I will make a comment.

Journal Entry 16 by corvoaudaz on Wednesday, September 10, 2003
I've just finished reading it. It was my debut in japanese litterature. At first it felt strange but with the continuous reading, the story became close and interesting. It warn us of all the romantic triangles (or more). Today (perhaps) it will be delivered to another BC to continue the BRing.

Journal Entry 17 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 30, 2003
After a series of mis-matches, I've finally received this book yesterday. Already started reading the book and I think I've already gotten used to the style. Will update when I finish reading. Thx to corvoaudaz (and to fflloorr). :)

Journal Entry 18 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 02, 2003
Finished this one yesterday. It was my début on Japanese Literature and I expected something different... At least I didn't expect to read such a story from a book written in the early 20th century.
This is an intense story full of betrayal, temptation, corruption, deception, intrigue and twists... so many twists that it is indeed hard to try to keep up with the story. It is the story of two women's love, involving also a husband and a lover.
Will try to give the book to the following reader next Sunday.

Journal Entry 19 by usedtobe on Sunday, October 05, 2003
Received this book from mady today and I'll read it as soon as possible. Will journal more later! :)

Journal Entry 20 by usedtobe on Thursday, October 16, 2003
I just finished reading this book and it was also my first attempt at Japanese literature. I can say I was not disappointed and I will be wanting to read more of Tanizaki's works.
This is an obsession story full of betrayal, deceit, jealousy, blackmail and although the plot is full of twists, I didn't find it hard to follow at all. It does keep you wondering till the end what fate will hold for the people who compose this quadrangle.
I will pass it on to the next reader some time next week.

Journal Entry 21 by MClaraM on Thursday, December 04, 2003

I got this book some time ago, but I only could register it now (sorry for the delay)!!

Promise not to take too long reading it!

Thanx

MClaraM

Journal Entry 22 by MClaraM on Tuesday, January 06, 2004

It was my first contact with Japanese Literature....

I think this is enough to understand why I found it so odd...
Not just because of the way that the characters seem to reveal themselves (as the plot becomes more and more absurd) but also because of the writer’s own stile;
It just carries us to a set where the drama, the dark side of our souls, and that other world made of our oniric thoughts live, every day.

I found it disconcerting, but strangely I loved it.

It is now on the way, so that another debutante, or not, may be overwhelmed

Journal Entry 23 by LuisdeMedeiros from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, September 06, 2004
Recebido em Fevereiro de 2003, por via postal, enviado por MClaraM. Nota de leitura para breve.

Journal Entry 24 by LuisdeMedeiros from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, September 06, 2004
Recebido em Fevereiro de 2004, via postal, enviado pela MCLaraM. Nota de leitura para breve.