A War of Gifts: An Ender Story

by Orson Scott Card | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, December 25, 2007
I haven't read any of the "Ender" books - perhaps a surprising admission for a science fiction fan, but somehow I just never got around to them. I'd heard interesting things about this one, though, as a sort of spin-off story set in the "Ender" universe but focusing on other characters - and it is quite a story, with a strong focus on several major issues, from government vs. individual freedoms, religious freedoms vs. secular customs, peer pressure - used for good and for ill - and the loneliness of children... [What I know of the rest of the Ender saga adds a dark background to this story that highlights its positive aspects.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Controlled release: This book's on its way to BCer ResQgeek in Virginia, in trade for Welcome to Our Company [if he can find it {wry grin}]. Hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Orson Scott Card is an amazing storyteller, and the books in his Ender series are among his best work. I'm looking forward to another magical Card story here. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
For fans of Orson Scott Card's Ender stories, this book might be a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand this is a wonderful addition to his story, a brief glimpse into the lives of the children at the Battle School. Card uses the background created in Ender's Game, and expanded on in Ender's Shadow to set this story about the role of rituals in religious and cultural holiday traditions. As fans have come to expect, Card's story is both compelling and thought provoking, but fans are likely to be disappointed by the length. This is a brief story, barely 120 pages, and it leaves the reader wishing that there was more. The ending does feel a bit rushed, and perhaps the story could have been filled out and developed into a more complete work. Its always fun to revisit the Battle School, but somehow this just left me wanting just a bit more.

Journal Entry 5 by KateKintail from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 15, 2008
Picked this up at the BookCrossing meetup at Panera today. I've really enjoyed other Orson Scott Card books so I'm looking forward to this nice little book! Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, October 29, 2010
It's been... I'm not sure. 10 years since I last read an Orson Scott Card book? I don't think I've ever read an Ender series book. I like to read things in order, so I'm not sure how I ended up being talked into this. But I'm glad I did.

As I'm not a fan (yet?) of the Ender series, I didn't feel like anything was lacking (I figured there was a whole series out there for exploring more of these characters). Quick the opposite, in fact, because it seemed to do so much in such a small number of pages. The story starts off with two different families on Earth and winds up as sons from those two different families interact at Battle School galaxies away, close to the front lines of war. This is a fascinating story about religion and culture in this futuristic setting. My favorite kind of science fiction is very character driven (like this) with aspects familiar to me (like culture and different holidays) applied to completely different situations. The story is well-written, letting me see the issues from multiple points of view. And the end was really all I could have hoped for or expected. I thoroughly enjoyed this and it definitely got me into the Christmas spirit... and wanting to properly enter into this universe of Card's! What a rich, interesting world with fun, realistic characters.

Journal Entry 7 by KateKintail at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 06, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/4/2010 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Sending out for Holiday Gift-giving. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by aishasaeed at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Received it 3 months ago. Never got the chance to make a journal entry earlier. Thank you katekintail! =)

Giving it to a fellow bookcrosser in town. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 9 by hassanyawar at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Wednesday, August 10, 2011
I just got the book!!! I'm eager to read this book!!! Thank you for sending me the book aishasaeed!!!