Paper Shadows

by Wayson Choy | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 12/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, December 22, 2007
In 1995, during the publicity tour for his much acclaimed first novel," The Jade Peony ", Wayson Choy received a mysterious telephone message from a woman claiming to have just seen his mother on the streetcar. He politely informed the caller that she must be mistaken, since his mother had died long ago. No, no, not that mother, the voice insisted; your real mother.
Inspired by the startling revelation that, like many children of Chinatown, he had been adopted, Paper Shadows is a vivid and moving memoir that reveals uncanny similarities between the secrets that enrich his award-winning first novel and the newly discovered secret of his own Vancouver Chinatown childhood. From his early experience with ghosts, through his youthful encounters with cowboys and bachelor uncles, to his discovery of deeply held family secrets that crossed the ocean from mainland China to Gold Mountain in the form of paper shadows, this is a beautifully wrought portrait of a child's world from one of Canada's most gifted storytellers.
This book felt a little different from his other books, and although I enjoyed it, I liked the other two better. As well as being a personal memoir, this book provides insight into the culture of Chinatown when the author was growing up. It is a creatively written memoir and I would recommend it.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/28/2008 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

This book is now on its way to ladybug74 by surface mail. It was chosen out of Firegirl's Biography and Memoir virtual bookbox.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, November 03, 2008
I received this book today! Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 4 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009
I have read and enjoyed several memoirs of this type recently, but I didn't really care for this one. I read part of it and never really got into it, so I finally stopped without finishing the book.

Journal Entry 5 by ladybug74 at Dunkin Donuts in Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/19/2009 UTC) at Dunkin Donuts in Dothan, Alabama USA

left on the counter by the condiment station