Hotel World

by Ali Smith | Women's Fiction |
Registered by princess-peapod of San Luis Obispo, California USA on 12/20/2007
Journal Entry 1 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, December 20, 2007
Five disparate voices inhabit Ali Smith's dreamlike, mesmerizing Hotel World, set in the luxurious anonymity of the Global Hotel, in an unnamed northern English city. The disembodied yet interconnected characters include Sara, a 19-year-old chambermaid who has recently died at the hotel; her bereaved sister, Clare, who visits the scene of Sara's death; Penny, an advertising copywriter who is staying in the room opposite; Lise, the Global's depressed receptionist; and the homeless Else, who begs on the street outside. Smith's ambitious prose explores all facets of language and its uses. Sara takes us through the moment of her exit from the world and beyond; in her desperate, fading grip on words and senses she gropes to impart the meaning of her death in what she terms "the lift for dishes," then comes a flash of clarity: "That's the name for it, the name for it; that's it; dumb waiter dumb waiter dumb waiter."
Hotel World is not an easy read: disturbing and witty by turns, with stream-of-consciousness narrators reminiscent of Virginia Woolf's The Waves, its deceptively rambling language is underpinned by a formal construction. Exploring the "big themes" of love, death, and millennial capitalism, it takes as its starting point Muriel Spark's Memento Mori ("Remember you must die") and counteracts this axiom with a resolute "Remember you must live." Ali Smith's novel is a daring, compelling, and frankly spooky read. --Catherine Taylor, Amazon.co.uk

Looking forward to this one!!!

Journal Entry 2 by princess-peapod at mail release in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 14, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/14/2008 UTC) at mail release in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

for winning my anniv. raffle : )
enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 3 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, April 24, 2008
Just arrived! Thank you so much princess-peapod! I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

Journal Entry 4 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, September 29, 2008
I read this book in a couple of days last week and I absolutely loved it. Several characters tell each their own story as well as their take on the crucial event at the hotel that changed everybody's life. The hotel seems thus the centre of so many different people living so very different lives, and yet coming to meet and interact because of this unexpected death. Different details take huge importance from different points of view and add up to help the reader see the big picture. The ghost of the dead is still there haunting the living in search for the explanations and the missing words that will finally set her free. The carefully chosen language and styles make it all so much more fascinating. A great read, even better than The Accidental, by the same author.

Journal Entry 5 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, May 11, 2009
This is going away on a nice tour of the world as an international ring.
The usual rules of rings:
1) journal the book when you receive it;
2) take your time to read it but let me know if you need longer than a month (so that I don't worry ;) );
3) ask for the next person in line's address when you're about to finish it;
4) journal the book again to let us all know what you thought of it before sending it on.

Here is the list so far:
** MartinaViola (Italy/Europe)
** tilly77 (Italy/Europe)
** Hayes13 (Italy/anywhere)
** easterngirl71 (Usa/pref. USA)
** sarkiegirl (Usa/pref. USA)
** sunfi (Usa/pref. USA-Canada)
** luckof (Canada/Canada)
** lauraloo29 (Canada/anywhere) <-- the book is here
** lidlekiwi (England/Uk)
....

The ring is still OPEN.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by MartinaViola from Latina, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
The book is just arrived! :D

Journal Entry 7 by MartinaViola from Latina, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
The structure of this novel is very interesting: every chapter shows a different character - the only element they have in common is the Global Hotel - so that we get the sense of the story only at the end of the reading!
Ali Smith tells these lives - women's lives - in order to point out some important subjects, such as homosexuality and suicide, and she does it with a great irony, making us think about them.
The language is amazing, I really appreciated it!

Thank you, Mikime!

I'm going to send it to Tilly77 this afternoon.

Journal Entry 8 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Friday, June 12, 2009
arrived today!

Journal Entry 9 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Monday, August 17, 2009
A linguistic challenge for my poor English but also very rewarding. I loved the structure of the novel, each voice with different style and story (linked to other characters).
I found the chapters narrated by the two sisters very moving.

Thank you mikime, I will send it to Hayes soon!

Journal Entry 10 by tilly77 at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy on Saturday, August 22, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/22/2009 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy

sent to Hayes13!

Journal Entry 11 by Hayes13 from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, August 27, 2009
Arrived today, thank you tilly!

I have a hundred (well, 5) books that arrived all at once, thanks to the summer vagaries of the Italian Postal service... will get to it as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 12 by Hayes13 from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, September 10, 2009
Started out well, but lost me in the middle... oh well!

As soon as I hear from easterngirl71 will send it on.

Journal Entry 13 by Hayes13 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings --, Illinois USA on Friday, September 11, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/14/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings --, Illinois USA

Woooo-hoooo....

on to the next reader!!

EDIT: Went out on Sept 15, 2009

Journal Entry 14 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009
Got the book today. I am waiting for a reply from the books owner! I had to go wawy this past spring to take care of my dad who had heart surgery. Was gone for 5 weeks. When I got home there was a huge pile of ring/ray books to read. As I started getting caught up, finishing one ot two and sending them off, one, two ir three would show up in my mailbox, and have been struggling since. I am reading as fast as I can. I would like to read this book but waiting to see whether the book owner suggests holding on to it and read it as soon as I can, or send it to the next person, and hope that down the line my name can be added. I appreciate all your kindness and understanding, as I have also had some medical problems that I am dealing with as well.

Journal Entry 15 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Friday, October 16, 2009
I got this book today! I will read it as soon as possible and then send it on! I have gotten rid of nost of my ring/ray books so it shouldn't be to awfully long before I read it! Thanks so much for sending the book to me. I have 1-3 books to read and then I will get to this one. Hope this is OK! Shoukd there be a problem with this please just PM me and I will just send it on to the next persin in line:)

Journal Entry 16 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, October 29, 2009
Just wanted to give an update! I am 1/2 way through a book I had to read before yours. This one is the next book I will be reading. I have already contacted the next person in line so as soon as I finish it I can send it on!

Journal Entry 17 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Trying to let you know exactly where I am at in the book and the new problem I have that you may not know about yet. Not sure if your if sometime in your browsing throutgh BC your glancing around if you happened to see any area where it tells of my 6th knee surgery, before I ever went through serious depression. I have been having problems with this knee from the time I turned 18 I have been doing the best I possibly can! I did start the book Hotel World, I got threw the first section about how she died in the dumb waiter. I thought it was real neat the way she, couldn't remember what she used to look at things before, and the answer no matter all the things she ran through were eyes!!So far I am really looking forward to finishing it. I do already have llidlekiwi's address so it will go into the mail as soon as I can finish it. Also wanted you to know your book is the only one I am working on until I can finish it. Please remember that the Physical Therapy that I have to do Each day is not only very painful and quite hard to concentrate while i am doing them. After I finish some leg lifts,leg slides,letting the leg hang for 3 minutes which doesn't seem long but it really is. The last part of the Physical Therapy is having my leg put on a leg bender and a leg straightner, this is the most painfull part of the physical therapy. I spend two hours 2 and 1/2 hours on the leg straightener and bender 3 times a day always for the two and 1/2 hours of that p. T.thanks for understanding!Sarah:)

Journal Entry 18 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Saturday, December 26, 2009
Sending to sarkiegirl Monday! I liked certain parts of this book and others I didn't like as well. As I atated previously I liked the way Sarah Wilaby could not remember the names of things after she has died. I thought this was very interesting the way the author thought a person who had passed on and was now a ghost would think. Toward the end of the book I liked how Sarah's sister seplained why she had been angry with her sister before her death. The way she left candy for her sister and why. Her getting into the wall at the hotel. I liked the short story about the lady who ran the watch shop. How she started wearing the watch and why. A very different style of book. Thanks for sharing:)

Journal Entry 19 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Thursday, December 31, 2009
Got it today!!! I have one in front of it, then I will read it as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 20 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Thursday, February 04, 2010
Lil update: It's taking me longer than I thought it would. I have the address for the next person, and she said to take my time, but I don't want to if those after her are in a hurry. I'm trying to read as fast as I can, let me know if I'm taking too long and I should just pass it along!
Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by sarkiegirl from La Quinta, California USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2010
I totally agree with easterngirl that some parts were interesting (more toward the beginning actually) and some parts were not at all. I remember getting sleepy and starting to drift off as I was nearing the middle end.
Sorry I took so long, maybe the style was too different for me to really enjoy it. thanks for letting me join! i'm going to be sending it to sunfi tomorrow!

Journal Entry 22 by sarkiegirl at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA on Saturday, February 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/10/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades, California USA

I sent to sunfi today! yay!

Journal Entry 23 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 17, 2010
I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of this one but I'll get to it as soon as I can. I keep my profile updated on weekly basis so you can see how close this one is to the top. Thanks for mailing this to me!

Journal Entry 24 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/10/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Finished this one, it was a little tough for me to read especially those sections without any punctuation. I can't say I would really recommend it to someone who prefers a more traditional literary format. It on its way to the next reader, it should arrive in the next 4 - 6 weeks or so.

Journal Entry 25 by luckof from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 26, 2010
Rec'd this safe and sound -- have one ahead of this one that I am finishing up -- rings travel in packs don't they?! thanks for sharing..

Journal Entry 26 by luckof from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 06, 2010
Hmmm I keep struggling with this one -- it just isn't catching -- sorry -- I keep picking it up -- reading a few pages -- managed half way thru the book praying it would get better for me - sadly it didn't -- will PM the next on the list to foward this onward (hopefully next week) -- thanks for sharing.

Sorry -- Real life has gotten in the way..will be sending this on shortly. sorry for the delay!!!June 28/10 -- GONE -- on its way..again my apologies!

Journal Entry 27 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 06, 2010
Arrived today. I have 2 rings before it, but I will keep it moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 28 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 30, 2010
I cannot get into this book. Frustrating. I will contact the next person and send it on asap. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 29 by mikime at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, August 30, 2010
No one else wanted this book so it came back home. This bookring is closed, the book will stay with me till I find a new destination for it.
Thanks to all of you who took part in the ring and shared your thoughts on this book!