The Archivist: A Novel

by Martha Cooley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Bellingham, Washington USA on 12/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Bellingham, Washington USA on Sunday, December 16, 2007
A National Bestseller, A New York Times Notable Book of the Year, this book is about a librarian named Matthias who lives a solitary life and is responsible for safeguarding a sealed cache of T.S. Eliot's letters. A young female poet is very interested in reading these letters of T.S. Eliot.

Released 11 yrs ago (4/30/2008 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Bookrelay, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

mailed to GirlWithCamera of Ann Arbor, Michigan as part of a book trade.

Thank you for being willing to trade with me, GirlWithCamera. I hope you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 3 by GirlWithCamera from Dearborn Heights, Michigan USA on Thursday, May 08, 2008
Thanks tabby-cat-owner! I will be adding this to my to be read pile :)

Journal Entry 4 by GirlWithCamera at Dearborn Heights, Michigan USA on Saturday, July 30, 2011
Wonderful.

The New York Times said that [Margaret] Cooley has given us something valuable and rare." I agree with this completely. I was taken in by her characters, especially the dead, spoken of and accounted for by the living narrator and journal entries. I felt especially compelled by Judith, the wife of narrator, Matthias (Matt), who took her own life after a lengthly war with her own mind--a metaphorical war that spawned from the very real WWII.