Fatal Remedies

by Donna Leon | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Wagtail of Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on 12/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Wagtail from Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2007
The start of the book looked promising, but I was very bored with this one, so disappointing.

Dearie me - after reading the ensuing entries, where did I go wrong! Obviously not as critical a reader as you erudite folk!
However, I do find the Commissario and Paula's relationship fascinating, and this was a good example of how differing viewpoints (the pragmatic and idealistic) can be resolved in yes, a gentle way.

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 24, 2008
Snapped this up at the Aberdeen BookCrossers MeetUp on Thursday the 20th of November. It will be my eight Leon and there’s a delightful symmetry here, in that this is the eight in the Commissario Guido Brunetti series. My bookcrossing shelf testifies however, to the fact that I am hopping around all over the series rather than reading them in sequence, as I am doing journal entries on them close to the times I read them. (Though indeed there are hic-ups with that too as my bookcrossing administration can be erratic, but hey its all fun in the final analysis.)

Wagtail huge thanks, looks like I had got myself in a muddle, and in fact I haven’t read this. Yip, and yahoo as I slap this on a TBR pile!!! So the next bookcrosser’s I was going to send this too immediately, will have to wait longer…

Added: 4 Dec 08 - Reserved for Flutterbies9 and then Mallary

Journal Entry 3 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 7, 2008
Book cover: It began with an early morning phone call. A sudden act of vandalism had just been committed in the chill Venetian dawn. But Commissario Guido Brunetti soon finds out that the perpetrator is no petty criminal. For the culprit waiting to be apprehended at the scene of the crime is none other that Paola Brunetti, his wife.

As Paola’s actions provoke a crisis in the Brunetti household, Brunetti himself is under increasing pressure at work: a daring robbery with Mafia connections is then linked to a suspicious death and has superiors need quick results. As his professional and personal lives clash, Brunetti’s own career is under threat – and the conspiracy which Paola had risked everything to expose draws him inexorably to the brink…

I remember brimming with indignation at the scary descriptions of galloping corruption in the first Donna Leon I read, horrified at the seemingly casual acceptance of it according to the average Venetian, and so I also surmised, the average Italian! But something about the redoubtable Commissario Guido Brunetti’s skill at negotiating an honourable trail through this nastiness impressed me, even as interactions with his family charmed me and so I’ve kept coming back to read more.

This volume is especially fascinating as the stench of corruption is ever present, only this time Paola, Brunetti’s wife is taking the first swipe at it and in an entirely confrontational stance her husband would not, and in fact when faced with it does not, condone. I found the wee morality play at the heart of this a most compelling plot line and have recommended this to others. So impressed was I with this in fact that I have made a mini-book-ray with it: first its off to Flutterbies9 then it’s off to Mallary!

Journal Entry 4 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 12, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (12/11/2008 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES: Actually this was posted not in my local post office but posted instead in a post office near the Queens Hall, after my Dyslexia research groups meeting, and I am making all these notes as a reminder because I forgot this to ask for a proof of posting, arrgh. So I hoping this arrives without incident. Posted to Flutterbies9 on Thursday, 11 Dec 08 - happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingFlutterbies9wing from Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, December 28, 2008
Forgot to enter when received as I started on it right away knowing it was to go elsewhere after me.

This is only my second Donna Leon read and I rather liked it. I found the style of writing on this one very understated which I thought suited the plot line. However, I also thought that some of the situations in the relationship between husband and wife did not really ring true to me but obviously suited the plot construct (sorry, rainbow3, but that was my impression) and were a good morality issue to flesh out the character of Paola a little.
I do not know much about Venice other than what I've read elsewhere ~ I never managed to get there when I've visited Italy! ~ but the stereotype Italian authority systems always seem to have this dichotomy between outright corruption and honesty at their heart and it is certainly well described in this book as well. On the whole though, this is a more gentle rendering of the corruption and violence in the society it is describing than the previous book I read.

I'll get it parcelled up for Mallary now and hopefully sent before the end of the year but if I don't make that it will be very shortly into the New Year 2009.

Journal Entry 6 by wingFlutterbies9wing at on Monday, January 19, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at

Rainbow3 asked me to send this one on to you when I'd finished it, so here you are!

Journal Entry 7 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Saturday, January 24, 2009
Thanks for sending this! It's lovely to receive surprise books in the post!
I'm still waiting for a book I sent to rainbow3 2 weeks ago to arrive on her doorstep... I wonder if someone at the post office is sitting reading it and eating her chocolate!

Journal Entry 8 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Thursday, February 12, 2009
Hubby read this and loved it!
He is a die-hard Donna Leon fan now!
Thanks again for sharing it with us.