All Quiet on the Western Front

by Erich Maria Remarque | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Schmusefluse of Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 12/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Schmusefluse from Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, December 14, 2007
About the book: "I am young, I am twenty years old; yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficially cast over an abyss of sorrow....."
"This is the testament of Paul Baeumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I. These young men become enthusiastic soldiers, but their world of duty, culture, and progress breaks into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. Through years of vivid horror, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the hatred that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against one another..... if only he can come out of war alive."

This is one of my all-time favourite books. It is moving and clearly shows the insanity of war, no matter which side you are on.
I don't know how good or bad the English translation is, I have read this book in German.

I bought this book for iliotropio`s Surprise BookXcerpts, which unfortunately got stalled. It is a new and unread copy.

Journal Entry 2 by Schmusefluse at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/8/2010 UTC) at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Reist mit Lady Libertys Box der 1000 Bücher weiter.