Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood of Traveling Pants, Book 1)

by Ann Brashares | Teens |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 11/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
If you have found this book, welcome to Bookcrossing and thank you for taking the time to let us know about its journey. Feel free to enjoy the book and pass it along to a friend, neighbor, family member or co-worker, or simply leave it somewhere for another lucky reader to enjoy as you did! If this book isn’t your type of read it’s no problem, don't feel obliged to read it, just be kind enough to help it on its journey.

From Publishers Weekly:

A pair of jeans purchased at a thrift store is the unlikely bond that keeps four best friends emotionally connected during the first summer that they spend physically apart. This clever (if initially hokey-sounding) premise sets the course for four intertwined, compelling coming-of-age stories. Carmen doesn't think much of the pants she buys for $3.49, until she and her pals discover their magical quality. The jeans which fit each girl perfectly despite their very different body types serve as a surrogate friend for Tibby, Carmen, Lena and Bridget as they wrestle with new issues of first love, jealousy, fear and sadness in the months before their junior year of high school. Each girl has a turn with the pants, then sends them on to the next person in the rotation; by summer's end, when the friends are reunited, the jeans will be the symbol of what the girls have experienced. Goethals sounds every bit the teenager here, but her sometimes halting reading never quite captures the crackle of Brashares's writing style. In Goethals's command, the author's snappy asides and retorts occasionally sound cumbersome rather than humorous or biting, as they were intended. Many teen girls will likely take these shortcomings in stride and get lost in a story that speaks to them.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, September 29, 2013
My Review: I loved this book! The four girls are all so different and yet the magical pants fit them all. They spend the summer in four different places and mail the pants to each other so they can all enjoy them and have adventures while wearing the pants. Such a fun story.

Released 7 yrs ago (1/9/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to my friend Heather in Arkansas, I think she might like to read this one. Enjoy!