Ruby: A Novel

by Francesca Lia Block | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by TaleofGenji of North Jersey, New Jersey USA on 11/26/2007
Journal Entry 1 by TaleofGenji from North Jersey, New Jersey USA on Monday, November 26, 2007
Going out to my Secret Santa. I hope you enjoy!

Sent to my Secret Santa in Oregon. I hope you enjoy the book and the goodies! Delivery Confirmation Number 0103 8555 7492 7054 1774.

Journal Entry 3 by sweetsangria from Clackamas, Oregon USA on Thursday, December 06, 2007
Thank you Santa!!I mean Ctychic. I was surprised to get a book from my wishlist...how awesome. Francesca Lia Block is one of my favorite authors..so I'm excited to read this one. Thanks also for all the goodies(love all of it). Happy Holidays!!!

Journal Entry 4 by sweetsangria from Clackamas, Oregon USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
I loved this book. It has a magical, fairy-tale feeling to it(as do a lot of author's books). Ruby goes in search of her soul-mate while trying to heal from her abusive past. It was a very fast read too.

"Your smile blooms on your face, sudden and unexpected like a speeded up film of flowers opening. Your eyes shine with something between joy and sadness."

Journal Entry 5 by sweetsangria from Clackamas, Oregon USA on Monday, May 26, 2008
Putting into my "Flower Power" bookbox. Hope it finds a good home.

Journal Entry 6 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 17, 2008
This looks really interesting. I'm pulling it from the bookbox! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by msjoanna at Book Obsessed Swap, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/10/2010 UTC) at Book Obsessed Swap, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

I now have a copy of this book on my kindle, so I'm releasing the hard copy. It's in the mail to AceofHearts, who won it in the nongenre swap on Book Obsessed.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 16, 2010
received in the mail today. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 17, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 18, 2018
Growing up in an abusive family, Ruby decides that she will leave for LA as soon as she is legal. She finds a job as a nanny with a doctor who suspected the abuse, and we learn about Ruby's past and the magical touch she has. Ruby knows about her destiny and she sees who she is supposed to fall in love with. This just happens to be a superstar actor who has disappeared from the scene. Ruby sets off to England to find him.

We slowly learn about what Ruby had to endure during her childhood and it's pretty heartbreaking. I enjoyed the part up to Ruby setting off to England the most because of this. We were learning about her, she had a touch of magical that still felt like it could be real. Once she goes to England though, it becomes a full fairy tale and much less believable. Of course he love is a top tier actor. Of course he's sick and she's the only one that can cure him.

This was a super easy read and I breeze through it. I was engaged for the most part, if a little frustrated at how cliche the romance was and how the book ended a bit abruptly.

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 16, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/17/2018 UTC) at Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Left this in the leave one/take one shelf at work.
To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.